Chris NottBadger5
    4th Gear

Status

help understanding my DIS warning.

Just driving home from tescos and a warning comes up on the dis that i havent seen before and i dont have my handbook with me.

Its basically a circle with what looks like brackets either side. Im thinking its the breakes?? but what exactly.. they seem fine and all have good depth left.. unless its one of the pads??

Its in audi on friday anyway so they cancheck it out but i presume its safe to drive until then?

Age 18: CRX MK2 | Age 20: Corrado VR6 | Age 21: Audi S3 (rip) | Age 23: Audi S3 | Age 25: BMW E46 M3

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    I think it's brake pads.
    Audi A4 3.0 TDI Quattro 2008 - Ice Silver

JUST GONE: BMW 330i M Sport Saloon 2006 - Le Mans Blue

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: Audi S3 Quattro 2002 - AMD stage 1 - 261BHP - MTM clutch - Brilliant Black

2nd Gear

Status
    pads, or at least the nearside ..... if its just come on no panic, there is a good 2.5k left
    S3(225) - Dolpin Grey | Leather/Silver Alcantara | Bose | ViperDV | Samco Hoses | Eibach Pro-Kit | H&R Spacers | Brembo GT kit | AreoWipers | BlueTooth | Dension Icelink | New engine, Clutch, Turbo, Water pump thanks to Cambelt @ 79,000 miles | New short engine thanks to ****ed valve 22,000 miles later!

4th Gear

Status
    cheers... will last till friday then

incidentally its going in on friday to have the headlight adjuster motors changed... thats the second s3 i have had to do this to now!! cant previous owners notice the lights wander and are extremely dangerous!!!

*rant over*

Age 18: CRX MK2 | Age 20: Corrado VR6 | Age 21: Audi S3 (rip) | Age 23: Audi S3 | Age 25: BMW E46 M3

5th Gear

Status
    Theres a wear sensor on the pads which is basically a wire set into the pad and when its broken through it opens the circuit and throws the warning. It may well be just one inner pad but they must be near if one has gone. Still there is a good 2K in them and the front pads are only ~40 from GSF and similar.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nervus
    Theres a wear sensor on the pads which is basically a wire set into the pad and when its broken through it opens the circuit and throws the warning. It may well be just one inner pad but they must be near if one has gone. Still there is a good 2K in them and the front pads are only ~40 from GSF and similar.
    its when it makes a circuit, 2 wires embedded in pad finally both touch the disc and make the circuit, light comes on.

S3(225) - Dolpin Grey | Leather/Silver Alcantara | Bose | ViperDV | Samco Hoses | Eibach Pro-Kit | H&R Spacers | Brembo GT kit | AreoWipers | BlueTooth | Dension Icelink | New engine, Clutch, Turbo, Water pump thanks to Cambelt @ 79,000 miles | New short engine thanks to ****ed valve 22,000 miles later!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3_MCD
    its when it makes a circuit, 2 wires embedded in pad finally both touch the disc and make the circuit, light comes on.

Oh, ok I couldnt remember which way the S3 was set up as I just changed like for like last time. I fixed simiar prob last week on a collegues Vectra which breaks the circuit to throw the fault and assumed it would be the same.

He bought pads for a lesser model which didnt have the sensors and on the old pads you could clearly see the little node with the broken wire so we ended up just shorting the supply circuit so I dont think he'll get the warning again.

thats me

Status
    no nervus you were right and I should know ive just this minit done my discs and pads. The light comes on when the wire is broken. the sensor is on the inner passenger side pad.

on another not I got discs and pads from GSF and the outer pad had a large sticker on it like double sided sticky tape. first time ive seen that on a brake pad. I normally copper slip that area but not on these pads.
    red to red black to black blue to bits

5th Gear

Status
    Exactly as per fingermouse and Nervus.

link in the pad gets broke, sets off light.

If you install pads with no sensors you have to short out the lead to get rid of the light or recode the car, to do away with pad sensing all together.

As mentioned its only the passenger side front that has the sensors.
    Audi RS3

Brum brum

Status
    You still can't beat a visual inspection - my pad warning light went on and it was the sensor at fault and not the pad wear device.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

2nd Gear

Status
    I take it all back .... thats 4 against 1 !! - so sure I was right.

2nd Gear

Status
    My Brake pad light is coming on intermittantley together with the ESP light.

Can anybody advise me of what the problem may be?
    Last edited by pazaz; 17th August 2006 at 21:53.