Volks AutosSky Insurance
    2nd Gear

Status

Caliper Carriers????????

Maybe a daft question, but.....

looking to upgrade to a set of brembo's, I have found a set SH which have come from a Seat Cuprs (not R), origonally put on to upgrate to R spec bakes but have subsiquently been removed and are being sold separately.

When put onto the Cupra they bolted on directly.

... so what are caliper carriers and why do i need them??

Cheers
    S3(225) - Dolpin Grey | Leather/Silver Alcantara | Bose | ViperDV | Samco Hoses | Eibach Pro-Kit | H&R Spacers | Brembo GT kit | AreoWipers | BlueTooth | Dension Icelink | New engine, Clutch, Turbo, Water pump thanks to Cambelt @ 79,000 miles | New short engine thanks to ****ed valve 22,000 miles later!

2. # ADS
    ADS

smoking a6

Status
    OEM brakes have sliding calliper, one side has pistons when they press the disc the calliper moves in the opposite direction ON the calliper carrier that is bolted to the hub so both sides of calliper press the disc in this kind of antagonistic way.. Brembo generally have pistons on both sides so don't need to slide the pistons do the moving, they are monoblock callipers.

both these types will stop a car, Brembo IMO improve feel of braking not necessarily stopping power. think over what you want from the brakes. a larger oem set is a cheap mod, brembo is usually much more expensive.

now what i think you are needing is more hub adapters for the brembos or machining of those callipers, rather than calliper carriers as such.
    Last edited by dummi; 9th August 2006 at 16:04.
    just a little a6

1st Gear

Status
    I thought that the standard setup as bolted to the Leon R would bolt straight onto the S3, callipers, brackets, disks, hoses etc, as long as you have all the parts you dont have any problem.

If they are selling the callipers without the brackets be warned im fairly sure that they are expensive on their own from seat dealers

2nd Gear

Status
    cheers both ....
    carriers are defo expensive - 135 per side!! (bearing in mind the brembos were only gonna cost me 250). looks like i will try to find the whole lot, brakers or such....
    S3(225) - Dolpin Grey | Leather/Silver Alcantara | Bose | ViperDV | Samco Hoses | Eibach Pro-Kit | H&R Spacers | Brembo GT kit | AreoWipers | BlueTooth | Dension Icelink | New engine, Clutch, Turbo, Water pump thanks to Cambelt @ 79,000 miles | New short engine thanks to ****ed valve 22,000 miles later!