Problems fitting the FMIC

Defratos

You’re Dethpicable!!
Reaction score
Website
00626e1.netsolhost.com
Hey guys, as some of u might know I've taken my car to get the FMIC installed (the second hand star performance one) as pictured in the first pic:

Inta2.jpg

Now, my car has been taken apart and the guy fitting it has hit a probelm. Firstly supposidly this FMIC replaces all side mounted ones, driver and passenger sides, which I found weird as most of you have told me it goes in conjunction with the driver's side mounted Intercooler. I tried getting thet point accross but he insists that this is how it fits with no other intercooler.
Now the pic above is with all the pipework I have recieved but now the mechanic needs to order some lower intercooler pipes from forge to make it all fit. below are some pics of the car with the the "short" driver's side silicone hose:

nshoses.jpg

(passenger side mount which is fine and fits with no problems)
incorrecthose1.jpg
(Driver's side mount, this is where he doesn't have a long enough pipe)
incorrecthose.jpg

What I want to ask is, is there anything funny here? is he fitting the FMIC right? and should the driver's side mounted intercooler be removed?

looks like that FMIC needs to be sandwiched under the crash bar, so it sits higher up. That should then give you the extra length you need to mate them up.

You need to look back at glen's threads, this is not right, the FMIC from star was designed to work with one of the SMICs and should sit higher up than you've got it I think - it's difficult to tell but was only held in on glens car by the foam and crash bar and from that pic doesn't even look like it's under the crash bar.

From what I read not sure it'd do any good without the other IC.

madvw said:
looks like that FMIC needs to be sandwiched under the crash bar, so it sits higher up. That should then give you the extra length you need to mate them up.

I thought that he just placed it low so he could rest it up against something to take the pics, I would think he has tried placing it higher up to make it fit (that would be common sense would it not?) But is it not weird that the driver's side mounted IC is being taken out? I thought this stays in? which would explain a shoartage of pipes?

Defratos said:
I've never heard of replacing the crash bar with a new one for a FMIC, is this common?

most kits i've seen provide a new crash bar to accommodate the new FMIC sandwiched between the radiator and bar. It has to be located here as there's nowhere to securely mount the FMIC.

Def, do you still have the pics I posted up in a earlier thread of the Star FMIC fitted onto Glenn's S3?, also, looking at this pic...
incorrecthose1.jpg

There should be a side mount I/C here, your pic of the I/C sitting in front of the radiator has a 45Degree elbow missing on the drivers side.

wait till you try to refit the bumper!Remember the bumper is curved inwards and the pipework will only fit in one position.

Defratos said:
I remember the pic Jojo, isn't it this one?:

27113050-83c7-02000180-.jpg

That's why I'm confused slightly because this guy is fitting it without the driver's side IC.

Thats the one bud, you have the 90degree elbow, now you need the 45 degree one and join them up as in the instructions that Glenn supplied me in your PM.

Guys,take it from someone who actually fitted it,you need the pipework to fit in the gap between bottom of bumper and foglights so the ic is sitting of the bottom of the bumper.

Hey guys. Went over today and picked up the car. Ok so he's fitted it without the drivers SMIC, and here are the pics, let me know if it looks funny cause the IC isn't right in the middle of the car, but a bit to the passenger side, anyhows, what should I expect since I never fitted the driver's SMIC?
DSC00385.jpg

DSC00383.jpg

DSC00384.jpg

If i remember correctly mine never sat central because of the 90 degree bend on the right hand side clearing the plastic cover.Will probably work better than with the smic anyway.

Does the bumper actually go back on? I think thats what you want to make sure of.

This may not work very well without the SMIC to work with it (as it was designed to be used with one)... and it still doesn't look high enough to me (but that could just be the pics) however if the bumper goes back on I guess it's worth a go.

god_thats_quick said:
This may not work very well without the SMIC to work with it (as it was designed to be used with one)... and it still doesn't look high enough to me (but that could just be the pics) however if the bumper goes back on I guess it's worth a go.

I wouldn't try fitting it without the SMIC either. That's a very thin intercooler on the front.

Yours isn't much thicker chris!

which one do u have on Chris? and one question, I went driving the car today, everything feels good, but sometimes in first gear when I red line it I hear a sort of whooshing/whistling noise from the fmic (not too loud, but loud enough for me to notice it). and does the FMIC create any noise? i.e. does it suck any air?

P.S. The bumper fits fine, I'll take some pics with the bumper on tomorrow.

and one more question, what matters more when looking at IC, the surface area of the IC or the depth of it? what do they both differ in?