audi S3 cruise control ??

campbell

Reaction score
has anyone fitted this themselves and is it straight forward??iv heard its about 100 quid for parts
just curious because i might have a go myself

the most difficult bit is feeding the cable through to the ecu. It took me about 1 hour and several scratches on my arm

has anyone got a guide to do it or is willing to do one!? from what bits you need and then the guide

Im a sparky by trade and i couldnt be bothered, ive had it retro fitted on both My S3's by Amd, as they have all the tools, know exactly whats required, and it just didnt seem worth the stress and hassel to attempt it myself.

when i looked into it, this was what put me off...

removing the steering wheel/airbag to fit the stalk

there is wiring/loom missing from a joint box on the bulk head to the ECU.

so add said wiring, once you have sourced the bits and made it yourself, (as it wasnt readily available, there used to be a chap that made and sold his own leads here, but ive long forgotton his userID) you have to remove the wiper arms and scuttle panel, and get to the ECU plug.

To get to some of the later ECU's requires breaking into an anti tamper cage around the ecu, and if you want it to look un touched, doing it in a way in which it can be restored to its former self, compete with new shear bolts

you also need access to vag-com to enable it.

Thats how i understood it, and were the worst hurdles to jump, Having never done it, i may be mis informed.

The guides that were about at the time, (im talking 2002! ) were mostly in german, but were about the net if you searched.

Makes the £350 that AMD charge seem good value then. I couldn't be @rsed with all that grind.
Out of interest, do you use it much Paul ?

well I never paid full whack, i always picked up a discounted price from one of their RR days back when they were regular.

Its gets used, but certainly not on a daily basis. Maybe weekly or monthly.

MattS3 said:
Makes the £350 that AMD charge seem good value then. I couldn't be @rsed with all that grind.
Out of interest, do you use it much Paul ?

Had mine done at awesome for £195 inc iirc. £350 is way over the mark.

i think mine both were around the £200 mark, but it was back in 2002 and 2003.

I had mine done, I just bought the parts from the net, and when my car went in the garage for new suspension, I said "and while you're there, can you add put this on and enable cruise control on the computer". They done it and charged me forty quid labour. So the total cost was less than 80 quid all in.

I dunno why mechanics charge so much for what is an hours work..

200 is a good price but80 quid is a steal! i couldnt be bothered doing all that work lol

PaulS3 said:
well I never paid full whack, i always picked up a discounted price from one of their RR days back when they were regular.

Its gets used, but certainly not on a daily basis. Maybe weekly or monthly.

Sorry Paul, that wasn't meant to sound sarcastic, although having re-read my post this morning, it did sound as though it was.
Just checked the Awesome web site and it seems they will do it fitted for £200. Thats reasonable I reckon, trouble is they're 180 miles from me :(

Matt,

no worries. was not read as sarcastic at all.

although in hindsight my post could be read a defensive. so i can see where you comming from.

what parts are required for this?