help me spend money!!!

Stuart_A3_Turbo

Reaction score
right ppl. i need some serious help. ive got approx 2 grand to spend and looking to get as much done as i can for the money.

Current spec is :

18" Khan RS-C
50mm H&R lowering springs
Superchip
Pipercross induction kit
Turbo XS dump valve
De-cat
Powerflow ehxaust
Pioneer 8400 MP3 head unit
Autotek class D amp
Autotek 4 channel amp
2x Autotek 12" subs
Boost guage.

There are a couple of must haves within the budget like a new re-map (AmD is closest) and a new bailey twin piston dump valve and brakes. So far, AmD are leading the way for me with remap so i can ditch the superchip and im now looking at an EBC brake kit and turbo intake pipe. What would you do in my situation?

personally..

AmD remap.. (to come shortly)
AmD Viper Valve (got it)
AmD Brakes (Got Porcshe big reds fitted.)

you wont get Porsche brakes in with the rest on your budget, but you might like to look at the brembo set up.Which is considerably cheaper, and a balance between OEM and the top ££££ option.

depends on what you intend to do, if its track days, then seriously think about going for porsche set up.

as for samco hoses and or intake pipes, a standard remap (on a S3 for example) from any tuner consistantly hits between 250 and 265-270 bhp with the standard item. In some cases its sleeved to strengthen it, but an upgrade wouldnt be high on my list of priorities.

Get a different turbo fitted is what i'd do.....I think those are around the region of 2G and you get a remap with that.....and around 240hp!

right so far i have bought a bailey atmospheric dump valve and have got a quote of 550 + VAT for AmD re-map and turbo intake pipe. So, that means if i go for those 2 ill have spent in the region of 800 quid. Id like an uprated intercooler and some ebc brakes now, with brakes being first choice. Ive got a few chrome bits possibly on the way to smarten up the engine bay too. Id still like to hear any other ppl's ideas too.
if i go to AmD i will have the following engine wise :

AmD remap - expected gain of 40bhp +
AmD turbo intake pipe - expected gain of 5bhp
De-cat
Powerflow exhaust
induction kit
Dump valve

in my opinion i reckon ill be looking at about 210bhp although i know ill lose a bit with atmospheric dump valve, but i dont care i like the noise

The cheapest place I've found for EBC is a place in Essex, Sejoc.
They are they main EBC stockists. Can't remember their number but should be able to find on the internet! I think it's ( www.sejoc.co.uk ???)
Worth phoning them for a price for both just the brakes or for brakes & fitting!

[ QUOTE ]
Stuart_A3_Turbo said:
right so far i have bought a bailey atmospheric dump valve and have got a quote of 550 + VAT for AmD re-map and turbo intake pipe. So, that means if i go for those 2 ill have spent in the region of 800 quid. Id like an uprated intercooler and some ebc brakes now, with brakes being first choice. Ive got a few chrome bits possibly on the way to smarten up the engine bay too. Id still like to hear any other ppl's ideas too.
if i go to AmD i will have the following engine wise :

AmD remap - expected gain of 40bhp +
AmD turbo intake pipe - expected gain of 5bhp
De-cat
Powerflow exhaust
induction kit
Dump valve

in my opinion i reckon ill be looking at about 210bhp although i know ill lose a bit with atmospheric dump valve, but i dont care i like the noise

[/ QUOTE ]

Stuart,

Ditch the dump valve, get a stainless sealed induction kit (from quikshift racing), a DV, and you WILL still hear the DV, but it wont be venting to atmosphere... Its all good! Plus the lack of open filter will mean that low end torque wont suffer and you will still gain top end! To be honest, i think 210bhp is bit too optimistic but should be good for 200. The intercoolers will earn you little power difference, but will come into its own in the summer!

Rich

i dont think 210 is too optimistic as i got 200 and thats with the superchip. As for the dump valve, ive got a recirc valve ill put on when im running santa pod etc. What sort of increase did the AmD chip give you rich?

In standard state but with hyperboost DV, i got 192bhp 205lb/ft, but i got a bit of a slug engine i think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Compared to the A3's i think mine is a bit slower...

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
In standard state but with hyperboost DV, i got 192bhp 205lb/ft, but i got a bit of a slug engine i think /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Compared to the A3's i think mine is a bit slower...

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Yours slow.....never /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stuart, I'm still going to push you towards a turbo upgrade and around 240hp!!

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Yours slow.....never /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

Why don't you spend the money on a four week holiday somewhere far away. Rent a Fiat Panda there for four weeks and drive around in it.
When you come back home, your own car will feel three times as fast as now.
Only problem with this strategy is you have to repeat it every other month...

Rich im with Gamba on this one.. think ahead.. when u get tired of the extra 10 bhp your gonna gain then what will you do? Get the turbo upgrade then save for remap and brakes, then later get the intercooler sorted and your gonna get up there with the big boys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Actually this is interesting reading, http://www.vagparts.com/pages/2.7Tparts.htm

Apparently the RS4 twin (as in two :p) are only £1500 for the pair, I take it these K04's are the same as the S3 and TT's? if this is the case, K04 turbo,get your brakes done and then remap Rich.... one very quick pap pap

[ QUOTE ]
FrOgR said:
Rich im with Gamba on this one.. think ahead.. when u get tired of the extra 10 bhp your gonna gain then what will you do? Get the turbo upgrade then save for remap and brakes, then later get the intercooler sorted and your gonna get up there with the big boys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if u change the turbo without mapping it your likely to **** it up aint ya! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif NOT a good plan!

Do all the other mods first.. the ones that will prolong the life and efficiency/reliability of the engine, and to accomodate the extra strain of more power, then change the turbo and get it mapped AT THE SAME TIME.

Rich

Have to agree with Rich there, i wouldnt wanna upgrade the turbo and then be running 240+ bhp without touching the brakes or anything. Ive put plans on hold for the moment until i know exactly how much money ive got to play with. Ive got the MOT due soon and a couple of little problems have occured and need them sorted first. After this ill have an exact figure as to how much ill have to spend.

top of the list at the moment is:

EBC brakes
Professional stereo install for boot.
ABD front mount intercooler
Chrome bits for the engine.

Frog, you were close with what i was thinking, but i would get the turbo upgrade done by one of the tuners who would also throw in the remap with it as part of the mod.

Stuart you're right to be worried about the brakes, but if you don't drive it like you stole it everywhere (Like me) then you'll be fine. For me it would have to be the turbo upgrade if I had the money, the brakes are the cheapest part of the upgrade....just my opinion.

Or do the brakes save some more pennies (Impossible if you're me) and then get the turbo upgrade.

Take a look at Jabbasports page, 2020 pounds will buy you the turbo upgrade giving 290-300 bhp.....but for some reason it looks like they don't do a remap with that.

Yer sorry i was tired when i wrote that... brakes first of course then turbo and remap. Makes sense in the long run. You could always source a turbo and see if it turned out cheaper than a package job /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

Well if u change the turbo without mapping it your likely to **** it up aint ya! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif NOT a good plan!

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite Rich, it seems quite normal practice by tuners to put on larger turbo's seperately from doing a remap and then offer a remap to get the best out of the turbo. When one of the guys with an S4 had K04's fitted in place of the K03's AmD didn't do a remap at first, but the gains were still very good. Take a look at K03's to K04's

Hmm interesting... might enquire about this! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif