help... things keep going wrong.

cjhill

hmmmmm interesting.
Reaction score
Dear all,

why is it that everything has to go wrong at the same time ?

I need some help, my ESP/ABS light is perminantly on, it occured immediately after changing my battery (which had given up the ghost). Any help would be much appreciated.

That, and the broken rear suspension springs, hole in my condenser, flat battery (as mentioned), and a broken rear headlight adjusted, oh and the bubbles of paint on the roof.... really PI**ING me off.

Not to annoy onyone here, but could it just be a fuse??

abs abd esp went on mine and it was the acceleration sensor. Do a search as someone else did theirs recently and will have prices. Mine was done at the dealer.

sorry about the other stuff mate. If it makes you feel better mine failed its MOT on a broken headlamp adjuster and it cost me £180! Nice.

Hope that helps

Rob

thats alot of money for a ****** sensor. Glad (in a selfish way of course) to hear that someone else is having a nightmare at times too.

Oh, update.... now the engine management light has come on. How could i have screwed up things, just by changing the battery ????

cjhill

Iv'e a set of standard S3 springs sat in the garage if you are needing some??

PM me if interested

thats rediculous. is it really worth it do you think, in retrospect ?

Basically, if you browse, or post on this, or any Audi forum, you can safely bet you'll have problems with your Audi. Reading and posting on forums like these means you probably like to have fun with your car. That means extra wear and tear. Audi's seem to only work if you drive them like a mother on a school run. Or if you have the expertise and the money to maintain it's upkeep.

I've had mine a year this month, and I've spent a few grand on mine already. I've still got an ARB to replace, and another service, which appeared 10,000 miles too early, because of the variable setting.

I don't think it's worth it, personally, which is why once mine if completely fixed, it's being garaged until it gets sold.

Audi's are way too much ****** hassle.

Edit: And I'd imagine the ESP warning light is on because nobody cleared the error code that occured when your battery died.

cjhill said:
thats rediculous. is it really worth it do you think, in retrospect ?

Yep, I wasn't best pleased by the engine going bang, but that could happen in any car (except maybe a lexus) bearing in mind I've done over 50,000 miles in 2 1/2 years I can't complain too much, I wouldn't have wanted to be in any other car for this ammount of time!

All my friends ask me why and would I do it again - yes I would I know it's silly but I wanted a powerful comfortable car for ages and the S3 is one of the best all round cars full stop, you get one of the nicest cabins to sit in ever, enough power to see off 95% of things on the road and the fun of 4 wheel drive in a hatchback. I don't think i'd feel the same if I had a more normal A3 though.

It also doesn't look like the new one will be so special to me so it'll probably never be the same again either which also means it's a classic!

PS if you didn't guess yet I have no regrets about buying and owning my S3 even with all the hassle I've had.

its interesting to hear two different views. I guess a high performance car is bound to break, perhaps, more often than other lesser cars. Its just how much your willing to put up with it/pay i suppose.

Prehaps the way forward is to drive my wife's 206 a bit more often, then i'll remember why i bought the S3 in the first place and it will put a smile back on my face.

If I couldn't drive my S3 all the time in any conditions / go buy stuff from B&Q etc it would loose some of it's appeal for me, it's the fact it can do so much so easily that makes the S3 such a good car in my opinion, that and some of my TVR owning mates still go it's pretty nippy isn't it... and mines a bog standard 210BHP.

Hope it all works out for you and it stops costing you loads of money!

check my posts - i changed out the sensor on mine, bought it from GSF car parts (same part as a TT by the way) was much cheaper than Audi and good quality. When my battery died I had a new one fitted and a guy ran VAG Com on the car and there were hundreds of fault codes, all to do with electrics. Once reset with VAG Com there were no errors. I suggest you get this done as it will also tell you exactly which wheel speed sensor needs replacing.

having owned several turbo cars they always seem to have more problems than non turbo cars, i suspect the amazing heat under the bonnet is one problem plus the added electronics / control system. anything non engine related is probably just bad luck really. Ive had my fair share of problems with my car but again I feel that it delivers great performance for an everyday drivable car - i jumped in it and went to france on saturday, my mates who have sports cars start growing grey hairs at the idea of driving further than 50 miles....