EM TuningAH Fabrications
    Reverse Gear

Status

Dump Valve for Audi S3 1.8T??

Hey All,

I have an Audi S3 and am now looking to get a dump valve for it. I want it to sound really good and reasonably loud. Can anybody recommend the best one? I have been told not to buy a Baileys dump valve, and I have heard Turbosmart are good. Please help.

Also, will it cause any harm to my car by fitting a dump valve?

Thank you

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Suz84
    ...I want it to sound really good and reasonably loud....
    are these not mutually exclusive?

if you must have the sound of the air being dumped firstly consider an airbox modification, and then if that really isn't enough, there are some hybrid atmospheric dump valve options.

Fitting a standard atmospheric DV will impair the performance of the car though.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Yes, I have realised I need a recirculating dump valve. Any advice as to which one sounds the best?

6th Gear

Status
    Recirculating DV's wont give you any sound unless you modify the airbox, and possibly the wheelarch liner.

4th Gear

Status
    my bailey DV and k&n panel filter combo make a bit more noise than standard, but sound just right, especially at night, I would recommend this set-up. i also have a milltek cat back which makes the back end sound a bit better too, but none of it is 'loud'

1st Gear

Status
    OK I'm a novice here, what is the pupose of a Dump valve. to my knowledge, dumping pressure would reduce power, yes? The only thing that I can think of is it may reduce the experince boost whilst braking sharply after being on the throttle hard, this of course is only likely to happen on a track and could be a worry for the driver. I have to say I am only guessing here so can anybody shed any light on this - or am i missing the point and people just want their car to sound like a rally car.

1st Gear

Status
    on my car i have a bailey and k&n panel filter sounds ok to be not to loud, its a audi not a renault 5. not that im putting renault's down.
    sneaky silver s3.

2nd Gear

Status
    A dump valve will release excess pressure from the turbo into the atmosphere(pssssssttt noise) when the throttle is released.
    A diverter valve sends this excess back into the turbo intake,(slight noise if induction kit fitted).

1999 AUDI S3 | AMD STAGE 2 REMAP | MILTEK CAT BACK EXHAUST | VIPER DIVERTER VALVE | EBC TURBO GROOVE DISCS | RED STUFF CERAMIC PADS | 18" RS6 REPLICA ALLOYS | ANDYMAC 'BOSE' UPGRADE.

2nd Gear

Status
    Oh and some vag cars dont take too nicely to a dump valve, flat spots etc.
    Unless you have standalone management anyway!!

1999 AUDI S3 | AMD STAGE 2 REMAP | MILTEK CAT BACK EXHAUST | VIPER DIVERTER VALVE | EBC TURBO GROOVE DISCS | RED STUFF CERAMIC PADS | 18" RS6 REPLICA ALLOYS | ANDYMAC 'BOSE' UPGRADE.

1st Gear

Status
    If you want the sound of the dumpvalve modify the air box, but beware of sucking in hot air.
    Just doing the inner wing intake mod on my S3 made the DV alot more audible, and adding the cold air feeds made it louder still, see here:

My Cold air feed...

If its just out and out noise you want and you don't care about the hot air issue look at this:

http://www.wak-tt.com/mods/ramair/cheapinduction.htm

HTH