Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
    Reverse Gear

Status

grey strips and grills

Hi all
    Just got my dream S3 a week ago, just wondering if anyone knows how to get that horrible grey strip out of the back bumber without reversing into a bollard (sorry), so i can replace it with silver mesh.

I also want to replace the grills in the bottom front bumber as well.

Any ideas

Cheers guys

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status

Re: grey strips and grills

Hey, that's harsh [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

I like the grey strip bit diffrent

ben
    Reverse Gear

Status

This thread must be a wind up. Silver mesh?? thats going to look terrible.

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    S3Babee said:
    Hi all
    Just got my dream S3 a week ago, just wondering if anyone knows how to get that horrible grey strip out of the back bumber without reversing into a bollard (sorry), so i can replace it with silver mesh.

I also want to replace the grills in the bottom front bumber as well.

Any ideas

Cheers guys

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me you are joking?

What did you drive last, a Saxo?

Reverse Gear

Status

Its a black car, which tends to show up any silver bits on the car really well, like the wing mirrors. Trust me, i will post before and after pics, then comment.
    and as for the grey strip on the back, the designer needs shooting, it is especialy bad on a black car, its ok on the red and silver, but not on the black.

6th Gear

Status

Black, RS4 style mesh might work. But a quality car deserves a quality job doing - so crappy mesh stuff from xyz accessory store is just going to look crap.

The grey strips along the side, make the car different. The rear one, yep, I agree it takes some getting used to, but it mirrors the front of the car. Its there as part of the design. Look how the intakes in the lower front bumper kind of merge into one long grey oblong. The grey bit at the back mirrors this, and breaks-up the bumper a bit.

To be honest, thinking about it, I'm not even sure if RS4 style mesh would look right.

But, everyone has their own opinions. So perhaps you should experiment with different ideas. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

AL

Neutral

Status

Ive got a Black S3. I think the grey strip looks good. But what do I know. The design/engineering degree ive got doesnt count for much.

Please dont do it. Sell ya S3 and buy a Nova/Saxo/Pug

1st Gear

Status

Yeah my cars also black i like the strip

lmao @ the buying a Nova/Saxo bit

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    S3Babee said:
    Its a black car, which tends to show up any silver bits on the car really well, like the wing mirrors. Trust me, i will post before and after pics, then comment.
    and as for the grey strip on the back, the designer needs shooting, it is especialy bad on a black car, its ok on the red and silver, but not on the black.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which begs the question, if you don't like the design of the S3 bumpers, why did you buy an S3 and not a T Sport quattro?
    Surely the less badly designed standard A3 bumpers would have been less offensive to you than the S3 units that are obviously causing you so much distress? The by-product of this choice being that the designer would not be in fear of his life from a bullet!

Personally, I like the grey bits...all of them...and in my view they suit every colour except maybe the metallic greys.

As for the silly silver mirrors on some of the S3s....phew! Stinking! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif[/img]

6th Gear

Status

You would also have to cut out the panel too - see picture. Should you decide to do it, keep the panel for me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] as I would like to fit an S3 bumper to replace the cracked one on my A3 (before I got it!) although like Gammba I'm still not convinced about the arches.

...Watching you!

Status

I have to say that i think it will look terrible and VERY maxpower... S3's arent s'posed to look naff.

Rich

5th Gear

Status

I've got some chiken wire in the garage if thats any good for you [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue_out.gif[/img]

Each to there own I suppose.

Bear in mind though that once you've taken the grey plastic bit out, youre going to have to butcher the bumper to fit this mesh [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif[/img]