Oil query

S3 AD

Reaction score
Not that I dont trust dealers but I think the collective knowledge on here is at least if not better than most dealers so I have another question I am hopping someone can answer for me,
I have had my S3 on AVS, now I want to get it remapped & need a service it seems the best thing to do is change to standard servicing, I know what the corrct oil for AVS is, but what should I be using if I get the servicing put to standard every 10k or 12 months??

Cheers

IMO fixed servicing at 10k with an intermediate oil change at 5k using fully synthetic (Synta Gold or Halfords own brand equivalent).

god_thats_quick said:
It's the same oil for AVS and non AVS servicing, I'd go what whatever is the right spec and make sure it's changed at least every 10k probably more like every 5k.

I believe the oil for AVS should meet VW503 01 spec, where as the non AVS requires oil spec VW500 00, VW502 00 or VW501 00

if you use the AVS approved oil (and you're on fixed service plan) you'll be spending considerably more than you have to. AVS oil, much the same as Castrol Edge costs quite a bit more than something such as Castrol Magnatec which more than up to the job.

VAGMAN1 said:
if you use the AVS approved oil (and you're on fixed service plan) you'll be spending considerably more than you have to. AVS oil, much the same as Castrol Edge costs quite a bit more than something such as Castrol Magnatec which more than up to the job.

Couldn't agree more - why pay £10 a litre for AVS oil when you can get 5 litres of fully synthetic from Halfords which meets the non AVS VAG oil standard for £15 (when it's on buy 1 get one free). At that price, you could change it every 1500 miles!