Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
    Bring on the Ice!!

Status

tyre change and wheel alignment HELP!

Hi folks,
    Im after a bit of advise,
    After some slippery experiences in the wet and examining my odd and differentially worn tyres i've decided for a change.

I realise this would be the best oppotunity to play with the wheel alignment. EEs' report suggests a negative chamber of -1.0 to -1.5 and about 5 degs toe out (front).

I have a number of questions really:
    Is this easy and cheap to do?
    How does this affect the tyre wear?
    is this effective at improving the handling when aligned with the standard S3 suspension set up?
    While doing all this are there any other alignment or related issues I should be awhere of or consider?

thanks for any help

2. # ADS
    ADS

hud at ye bam

Status
    To get the best out of that sort of set-up you really need to be travelling in a way that the standard springs and dampners won't really allow. If you drive 'reasonably' hard the you keep the loaded tyre flat so wear isn't a problem.

The alignment isn't a quikfit job, and most places that will do it will charge you about 90-150. I've been running with 4mins toe-out per side for a few thousand miles and no uneven wear. Wouldn't say it's too great all round, but really good in tight twisty stuff. I'm changing back to parallel toe next week.
    [/sarcasm]

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ChriS3
    Wouldn't say it's too great all round, but really good in tight twisty stuff. I'm changing back to parallel toe next week.
    Could you elaborate on this please Chris (i.e. the all round comment), as I'm getting my alignment done tomorrow!

Cheers,

B.

hud at ye bam

Status
    Toe-out is good when cornering as the car likes to turn. Not so good when you're on the motorway when you have to hold it in a straight line at higher speeds. If you go with 0 toe, then the wheels are neutral and you lose less power through the transmission.
    [/sarcasm]

3rd Gear

Status
    In otherwords you don't have to have the standard settings. Suspension setup is always a compromise between grip/handling/comfort/tyre wear. The factory settings are fine, but you might want to go for something different if you want a different type of compromise (and i guess most people on forums such as this would want something 'sporty').

3rd Gear

Status
    I had my alignment done today and the rear was way out. Car now feels much better (although still need some lightweight 18s). Much more stable at speed and far better cornering.

As an aside I had this done at APS in Bracknell and can't recommend them highly enough after my experience today. Rear ARB drop links replaced and 4 wheel alignment for less than 80 (inc vat) all in. Friendly, loads of time to discuss the car setup, and showed me what they were doing on the car. Will definitely be back in the future.

Cheers,

B

1st Gear

Status
    I know my tracking to be slightly off & want to get the alignment checked on all corners as well, can you tell me were APS is in Bracknell please? as thats not far from me.

Cheers

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 AD
    I know my tracking to be slightly off & want to get the alignment checked on all corners as well, can you tell me were APS is in Bracknell please? as thats not far from me.

Cheers
    oops sorry - too many stellas last night - I meant to type Brackley (northants). Sorry for the confusion.

1st Gear

Status
    no worries I know the feeling - can anyone reccomend some where to get this done in the Reading Bracknell area??