Brake pad warning on DIS

ImS3ola

Reaction score
I've done a bit of searching and it seems i've got the low brake pad warning on the DIS. Does anyone know how long the front pads are meant to last? The car has done 22k miles and i've had it since 14k miles and i've never driven it hard.

Also, is it possible to stop the warning sybol coming up on the dis without changing the pads?

Thanks

All depends on how the car is driven or was driven before you got it (and your definition of hard driving)

If you ignore the warning you'll end up needing pads and discs in the not too distant future and that'll cost even more. You could remove the plug connecting the sensor if you really want to stop the warning (I'm pretty sure it's closing the circuit that sets the warning off)

I'd get some pads and change me myself in your situation.

Yeah fair play. It's just that I read somewhere that the warning comes on with 5mm to spare which should last me a good while longer, so it would be nice not to have the warning every time.

p.s. I really dont drive the car hard. Just boring London start/stop traffic mostly.

You dont park down the edgware road some nights do you??

I keep seeing an imola s3 parked up on my way home from work!!

when the pads become too low it is very apparent in braking it starts to happen soon after the warning @ 3mm iirc

Just a quick note that sometimes the sensors can play up - my DIS came up, when I eventually worked out what the symbol meant (Not in my handbook for some reason) did a visual check and discovered it was the sensor and not the pads. Sometimes you can't beat a good old inspection rather than trusting technology all the time.

mines on also at the moment, ive done 42k so thinking discs and pads.

Im sure you have to short the sensor to stop the dis display??? isnt this what you have to do on some big brake conversions??

ive inspected mine drivers side has 5 mm passenger about 3-4 mm

note always check the inner pad as this one does wear slightly more than the outer pad. pads are a little over 40 quid from eurocarparts just looking at disc prices now

Adams3 said:
You dont park down the edgware road some nights do you??

I keep seeing an imola s3 parked up on my way home from work!!

No mate, it's not me.

Thanks for the info everyone.

I had the warning light on a few months ago. Went out and bought the front pads to get the job done. There is a small metal loop embeded in the pad. as the pad wares the loop will also ware, eventially breaking the circuit. I think you could get rid of the warning by removing the plug and shorting the contacts, however, I'd recommend getting the pads done, as the warning is there for a reason. One thing to check first, I changed the near side first, and when I got to the off side I found that it was the wire connecting to the pad that had broken, and not that the loop had worn through, so still had plenty of miles on the pads, however as I'd done one side already, and had the other side apart I decided to carry on and just get the job done.