ESP - on or off?

munkey

Reaction score
Just wondering how many of you switch off the ESP when hooning about?. I havent, but it seems to kick in at the slighest loss of traction or sideways action - quite annoying and slows down my progress /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif. Just worried that if I do push things a little too far I may come unstuck without the ESP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif...

May book a 4WD driver training course...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF OFF

Mines always off hate the thing !! Can make you look a right c0ck sometimes when it cut's in

Off on all ROUNDABOUTS and when I Fully know the road ahead. Otherwise it can cut in at the wrong time. On the other hand I am sure it has saved me on occasion.

I only switch it off on trackdays and really fast drives in the wet. I think the S4 system allows more slip and slide before it cuts in, I can get at least 5 degrees of oversteer before it cuts in, and with the torsen I almost never lose traction in the dry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think everyone should have it on when cruising motorways, b roads etc as I know of 2 people who had blow outs of rear tyres, they (and the police investigating) said that ESP saved them from spinning into barriers and other vehicles. Anyone seen the video of the police motorway driver who had a blow out, 720 degrees of revolution at 80mph stopped only by the central reservation - ouch! I suspect that it would be fluke rather than skill or judgement that would save you in that situation.

Hahaha, read the following thread ESP

It'll tell you all on the for and against of ESP.

that link is censored /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I still aint got my s3 yet, but when i test drove 1 it was much better with it off, when it was on it felt like the car was being restricted. This was in the dry on a roundabout.

When I get mine, i think I'll have it on most of the time tbh.

I feel no need to switch mine off normally...even on the Audi-Sport.net thrashes around the Highlands mine stays fully operational...and it doesn't slow me down.

Sure, if you want to be a maniac on a roundabout and get the back out...turn it off.
...and for full throttle standing starts or quick junction exits in the wet (but there again I have over 300lb-ft of torque to try and dissipate which can cause a problem).

But for normal fast road driving, it stays on.

Basically, if you are having the ESP cut in all the time, you are not driving the car correctly for the type of car....the fastest way is always the smoothest way...and driving smoothly doesn't kick the ESP in...not on my car anyway.
As DavidR says...it's a life / car saver.

I dont even have ESP on my S3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

So it is, hmmm I can see why, shame.

The same question was asked on that site and it kicked off!!

It came down to 95% ON and 5% OFF, with information on what could happen if you overcook that corner with or without ESP. Some people got quite baity about it and things were said.

At the end of the day it is a Safety Aid designed to help you the driver get out of a potential sticky situation, it is then your descision whether to risk it.

Me,I flick it OFF when I feel like a good run and where I know ESP would normally kick in. Sometimes I leave it ON and do the same run but don't trigger the ESP.

As the dude said, if you are continously triggering the ESP then that driving style should be addressed and honed accordingly.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well, I drive with it on about 99% of the time. It almost never intrudes, even during recent meets, which included the most recent one Ess_Three mentioned. I *think* it *might* have came on briefly at one point on that meet when I braked heavily into a bend on a rough surface, but I'm not sure if it was just the ABS or not, too busy concentrating /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I do turn it off for full throttle starts, especially in the wet. Occasionally I will turn it off for a little "fun", but it's very rare and I always put it back on immediately after.

Keep it on most of the time - you'll live longer.

Smooth driving is best /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

What are the road conditions like when ESP kicks in?

I find that for fast starts wet or dry ESP will kick in, more so in the wet. When on a spirited drive in the wet I always leave it on (You never know! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif).

I think ESP and rain go together. It also shows you where to improve your cornering approach and exit. That just my 2p's worth.

I guess it depends what sort of driving you are doing - for fast smooth progressive driving leave it on - it won't kick in. If you want to slip and slide around a bit then turn it off!!!

Mine comes on if I boot it on a corner, but then I expect the car to start sliding then, and also driving up my road in the morning (and over the odd drainhole cover!)

i cant believe how petty that censored link is.

it doesnt take much working out to add something.net

its only information, shouldnt matter what site its on.

toys and pram.

<Admin Hat On>The censoring is automatic once configured - no manual intervention!

End of that part of the conversation and back onto discussion of ESP! <Admin Hat Off!>

auto or not, wasnt the point. its the fact its even in there.

Its childish.

I always keep my ESP on to be honest, and its a good thing as well cos I misjudged this sweeping bend yesterday, (which carried on sweeping longer then I expected while getting tighter) tyres where screeching and the ESP light lit up like a Christmas tree, the car then quite cleverly corrected its self and I sailed through the bend.

I don't think I was going quick enough to have binned it into the other side of the road, but in my opinion I keep ESP on for peace of mind.

Most people are saying keep it on because they carnt drive with out it , God knows what they would be like in a 300Bhp cossie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I've prized out the ESP switch from the dash and replaced with an extendable fag lighter on a flexicord as I couldn't reach the other lighter as easily when cornering the hairpins. The flexicord is also quite useful as the old loose lighter used to fly around the car and singe the upholstery.

[ QUOTE ]
DaveCav said:
Most people are saying keep it on because they carnt drive with out it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No!! What utter, arrogant rubbish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif
ESP helps, not replaces driver when (and everyone will at sometime, even DaveCav) they step beyond their own or the car's limits.

At the risk of being a little controversial, I do not understand the preoccupation on this list with 1/4 mile times and 0-60. Anyone can hold the gas pedal to the floor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The skill is in the corners which I love on fast bikes or in fast cars.

AS.net track day would be fun and informative /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Golf Bygone said:
I've prized out the ESP switch from the dash and replaced with an extendable fag lighter on a flexicord as I couldn't reach the other lighter as easily when cornering the hairpins. The flexicord is also quite useful as the old loose lighter used to fly around the car and singe the upholstery.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Rob_A3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
DaveCav said:AS.net track day would be fun and informative /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Audi International in October!!!!!!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
DaveCav said:
Most people are saying keep it on because they carnt drive with out it , God knows what they would be like in a 300Bhp cossie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nonsense! Most people keep it on to give themselves a slightly greater chance of defeating an unpredicatable situation in which the natural human response is to overreact (refer back to my tyre blowout story above). And pretending to be superhuman and above these factors will mean you'll likely be preaching from the wrong side of a hedgrerow someday...

I have been driving a 300bhp 911 turbo (930) recently and I kept in on the road in the ******* rain at high speeds, but if it had ESP I would certainly not have disabled it. This car is legendary for reversing people off the road and high speeds. I could certainly "drive" without such assistance, but I "choose" not to do so when an extra layer of protection is available. Much in the same way I wear my seatbelt, even if there were no laws regarding its use, I would still choose to wear it rather than risk what may happen outwith my control.

Obviously as per my previous post I no longer have the cumfy cushion of ESP. But I don't really regret this as I always wear my nanny apron whenever I want to take special special care.

It never fails to put me in the right mindset and is always at hand in the glove compartment with my dongle.

[ QUOTE ]
audi girl said:
[ QUOTE ]
Rob_A3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
DaveCav said:AS.net track day would be fun and informative /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Audi International in October!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Really thinking AS.net members only day, less cars more time on track.

True, but it costs several thousand pounds to hire a track (e.g. Castle Coombe) for a day, so we'd need a big buy-in from the members.

Oops. Didn't realise it was quite so expensive - haven't done this kind of thing before. Expected about £100-150 each

So, Audi International in October seems best bet

[ QUOTE ]
DaveCav said:
[ QUOTE ]
Rob_A3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
DaveCav said:
Most people are saying keep it on because they carnt drive with out it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ESP helps, not replaces driver when (and everyone will at sometime, even DaveCav) they step beyond their own or the car's limits.

At the risk of being a little controversial, I do not understand the preoccupation on this list with 1/4 mile times and 0-60. Anyone can hold the gas pedal to the floor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The skill is in the corners which I love on fast bikes or in fast cars.

AS.net track day would be fun and informative /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao @ the Arrogant cheers bud /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

can you not drive smoothly with it off?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't have it and certainly don't want it and more importantly I don't need it!!...ahhh except on the beemer, then it's a god send.

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
[ QUOTE ]
DaveCav said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Nonsense! Most people keep it on to give themselves a slightly greater chance of defeating an unpredicatable situation in which the natural human response is to overreact (refer back to my tyre blowout story above). And pretending to be superhuman and above these factors will mean you'll likely be preaching from the wrong side of a hedgrerow someday...

I have been driving a 300bhp 911 turbo (930) recently and I kept in on the road in the ******* rain at high speeds, but if it had ESP I would certainly not have disabled it. This car is legendary for reversing people off the road and high speeds. I could certainly "drive" without such assistance, but I "choose" not to do so when an extra layer of protection is available. Much in the same way I wear my seatbelt, even if there were no laws regarding its use, I would still choose to wear it rather than risk what may happen outwith my control.

[/ QUOTE ]

well thats furry **** uncontrollable circumstasives but what Rob was saying is smooths the best well i can drive smooth with it on or with it off, I would just rather have it off

Who said anything about been superhuman /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif or a better driver /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
DaveCav said:
[ QUOTE ]
DaveCav said:
[ QUOTE ]
Rob_A3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
DaveCav said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao @ the Arrogant cheers bud /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

can you not drive smoothly with it off?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I crash at every corner with it off mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
DaveCav said:
Who said anything about been superhuman /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif or a better driver /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the rumour on the streets! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I dont know how to take those last 2 post's Iam all confused /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

You can take mine as a light hearted jest following my pouring of scorn in an earlier post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
You can take mine as a light hearted jest following my pouring of scorn in an earlier post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto

Cool thought I was going to get chinned at the next Audi sport meet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
DaveCav said:
Cool thought I was going to get chinned at the next Audi sport meet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't let your hopes drop, it could still happen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

I'm only joking...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif....I think... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
[ QUOTE ]
DaveCav said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't let your hopes drop, it could still happen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

I'm only joking...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif....I think... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif