Please Read, To buy or not To buy!?!!

dgannon69

Reaction score
Hi guys just looked at an A3 TDI(130) quattro sport today at an audi dealership. 1st impressions are good but on test drive the speedo didnt work and the DIS was ********. Part of the dash in the middle was also adjar as if it had been tampered... Its covered 25000miles but it is an Ex contract hire car bought in from the leasing company... What you reckon? thrashed to bits?

Any ideas would be grateful...

Regards

Dave

Did it have any service history to back up its mileage? Its very easy to ring up the servicing dealer or Audi uk and get the full history of the service record. Dont take the stampled service book as a bible for its history.

That sounds slightly dodgy.
If it is genuine then that's incredibly low mileage for a hire car, around 25 miles a day over 3 years, and lots of short journeys by uncaring drivers.
If it's on AVS then it's possible it's only had one service from new.
I'd feel far more comfortable with an ex-company car with a healthy mileage that's been serviced every 6 months as the 130 TDi engine is good for 250k miles. How much are they asking as you'll be paying through the nose for that low mileage on an Audi forecourt with no real knowledge that it's genuine?

DIS nakered, speedo not workin, Clocking springs to mind! Sounds suss imho..Audi UK will tell u exactly when and where for service details.

in response to some of your replies, Its at Gloucester audi. Service history goes up to 18000 and was done on 03/2005. AVS was showing 2300miles until next service...

This is an audi dealer so surely they wouldnt have the car unless it was genuine?

Cheers

Dave

I wouldn't want a car with a dashboard like that. I wonder if it's been removed to get access to something ... why??

My thoughts are always if it's not perfect (especially on the forecourt of a dealer) then walk away. There are plenty of other A3 TDI(130) quattro sports out there. Wait for the right one, don't talk yourself into this one if you have doubts.

dgannon69 said:
in response to some of your replies, Its at Gloucester audi. Service history goes up to 18000 and was done on 03/2005. AVS was showing 2300miles until next service...

This is an audi dealer so surely they wouldnt have the car unless it was genuine?

Cheers

Dave

Should be ok then..But i'd expect it in perfect condition tho, but that just me, mine is almost perfect (looks like the day i bought it). So i would expect no less, thats just me, lol..

The Slug said:
This car has been there for awhile now (is that a good thing), i think you cud get a good deal on this....Garage is fair too.

http://users.autoexposure.co.uk/pdfs/1800979_090706120340.pdf

Looks liker it has a dent in the wing .... other than that its like my car the day I bought it....

At an Audi dealer I wouldn't expect a knacked dash/DIS, though the DIS may be switched off on the wiper stalk...

is it an audi approved car? If so, they state themselves that it should be sold in the same state that it rolls off the production line. Has it been prepared for sale or just new in? They really cant get away with selling a car in that state if thats the case. Question if they have any more preparation to do before sale, and write a list of all the things you'd expect them to do. If not, remind them of what "audi approved" means..

as for the milage, I doubt its been clocked as its alittle more difficult than just modifying the dashpod. However, you can easily check the milage by checking the carpet, pedal rubbers, seats, steering wheel, front stone chips etc etc.

I would expect these things to be repaired before taking delivery if you do decide to purchase this car. Since you will have 12 months warranty on the car, expect it to be perfect upon delivery from an Audi dealer, and almost perfect in 12 months time. Get the MOT done at Audi before the warranty runs out aswell, so they have to fix anything the car fails on(Apart from tyres and brakes of course)

So far, thanks for all your helpful replies guys...

As you have said, yes it will all be repaired and fixed for when i drive it off the forecourt. It will also have a full service as its only got 2300miles to go until the next one...

The interior was very clean and didnt look worn at all...

I'd also want it to be perfect which is what i told the salesman which he understooed and said it would be!

I asked if they'd put some different wheels on it for me as in the colour its in (crystal blue) the original 5 stars don't suit it. I'm waiting for a call on monday from them just too see what he will offer me on finance for a few grand of the cars value...

The slug, I'm going to have a look at that car in about 10 minutes infact. They only offer a 60 day warranty and they aren't extendable because of bla bla bla from what he said....

What are peoples veiws on crystal blue? Thats the other thing holding me back from the one at gloucester...

Regards

Dave

Dont buy it if your having doubts...if things go wrong you will regret it. Why only 60 day warranty? I though all used approved had a year? I saw a couple of crystal blues when I was looking, its ok but IMO its a a bit feminin and im glad I didnt go for that colour. That car in the ad looks just like mine when I bought it denim blue pearl looks really good when polished.