audi warranty on coil packs?

campbell

Reaction score
can anyone please tell if the my car (S3) was a recall for faulty coil packs?its a 02 plate, its mis-firing on cylinder 1 and iv got it booked in at audi next week so i just wana know some information/rights incase audi try to screw me that the coilpacks wont be replaced free of charge.

iv had a good read of threads on this subject and i beleive that there was a recall sometime betwenn 2000-2002

cheers for any advice

Hi mate,

Mines an 02 car. There wasn't a full official recall - not that I can remember. But at the time, Audi/VW said they would replace any faulty coil packs (e.g. if you broke down) or at your next service.

AL

oh ok, mine is due a service in 400miles and i have it booked in at audi next week just to check, whats my best option -try to get them replaced for free (twist their arms!) or are audi usually awkward to deal with?

Mine is early 2001. I think it depends upon how generous the garage is feeling. Towed to Camberley Audi by AA and they replaced it FOC. 6 months later drove to Exeter Audi and they charged me.

Coil packs are only about £20 and you can replace them yourself - providing you know which cylinder it is. I now carry a spare in the boot after the AA man said to me at 6pm on a Saturday afternoon 'I normally carry a couple on the van but I've already used them both today and I can't get another one until Monday'.

its is cylinder 1 on the VAG.com scan-it said it was miss firing on that cylinder, does this indicate a coil pack failure?
i beleive cylinder one is the side closest to the drivers side? if i take the engine cover off i have noticed there are four black objects located nearest to the windscreen and 4 below that, which ones are the coil packs?sorry if its a dumb question

A colleague sent his 02 A4 back to Audi out of warranty for coil packs they replaced them free of charge (this was about 2months ago).

Coilpacks will be under the engine cover and should have hex holts in diagonal corners of the packs bolted directly into the top of the head. they'll be the ones having 4 small wires coming out a crap connector at the back!

god_thats_quick said:
Coilpacks will be under the engine cover and should have hex holts in diagonal corners of the packs bolted directly into the top of the head. they'll be the ones having 4 small wires coming out a crap connector at the back!

The bolted coil-packs were on earlier cars, e.g. 1999 to ???. I know for definite that 2002 onwards cars onwards (maybe earlier) have coil-packs which just push on, no bolts.

Campbell, try and twist their arm mate. Say that you are aware that in 2002/2003 onwards there was a coil pack issue on all VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda cars, and that at the time Audi offered replace them free-of-charge. Mention this site, mention the TT-forum.co.uk site too. They know about these places. If the dealer says, don't care. Speak to Audi Customer services. I know they are only £20 each, but for 4 £80. Its an expense I certainly could do with out. Make sure you replace all 4.

Visit this site: www.wak-tt.com and specifically http://www.wak-tt.com/225sparkplugs/225sparkplugs.htm

Waks site is probably one of the most useful sites on the internet.

Your misfire. Did you test this at idle? If you had misfires at idle then yep something is wrong. But misfires during driving do occur. I have them on mine. But the official test is to test for misfires at idle speed.

AL

iv tested at car idle and there are no miss fires, i will try and twist there arms and mention these sites thanks for that. ye it can be costly to replace all four id rather have that in my back pocket
yes my car have push on coilpacks, il let you know next week when iv been to the stealers at preston audi
has any1 heard good things about preston audi??just curious