This weekend i'll mostly be...

Tallpaul

Reaction score
Fitting things to/touching up my 1998 Audi A3 1.8T Sport.

Bought her a month ago and have so far fitted:

Forge 007p DV
Green Cotton Panel Filter
80mm Cold Air Feed to OE Airbox
REVO
Golf mkV Rear Aero Wiper

This weekend she gets:

'Green' Coolant Temp Sensor (To try and improve my lumpy idle)
Powerflex Dogbone Mount
S3 Lower Strut Brace
Audi S3 Avus 17" Alloys
Silver Hammerite Smooth painted brake calipers
Repair of the broken rear window washer

Fun, Fun, Fun!

Lovegroover said:
How have you found the panel filter? Much improvement in the noise department?

TBH it's difficult to tell, i'd say with the cold air feed there is an increase in induction noise. Nothing major though.

The reason i changed it was that the filter is only £36 and will last longer than the car, the OE air feed runs around the battery with two 90° bends; I've changed it to a flexi hose with one 45° bend and that is twice as wide. I know people will argue until they are blue in the face that this does/doesn't make a differance to performance. But it's not about what other people think.

The biggest effect on induction noise is the remap. My turbo now screams and you can hear the forge DV dumping air back in to the TIP - Most pleasent.

Well, got most of it done...

Unfortunately the S3 alloys weren't in as good condition as i'd hoped, so they'll be getting refurbed before i fit them. Got the rest done though!

Coolant temp sensor - Took, oooooh 90 seconds to fit. Can't believe my bro got charged £77 for this by a stealer!

Rear wiper motor servicing - 15 mins, works perfectly now. Dead chuffed. Shaft was broken exactly as in the FAQ section.

Caliper Painting - Slow and boring! Cleaned the calipers with a wire brush and brake cleaner spray. Washed them in soapy water, then rinsed and dried them. Painted them with Hammerite Straight to Rust Smooth Silver paint:

Before:

After:

DSC00328.jpg

Then proceeded to fit my powerflex dogbone bush and S3 lower chassis brace. Dead Easy!

S3 Chassis Brace:

DSC00326.jpg

New Mount:

DSC00323.jpg

Both fitted:

DSC00327.jpg

Whole front end of the car just feels tighter and more connected to road. Impressed with differance for such little cost.

Can't wait to get the new rims on, then i'll decide if gonna fit FK Highsport Coilovers. I need a FMIC and a custom exhaust too.

I need more money.

"I need more money"

......dont we all!

Good job :)

Looks really good mate. Do you just paint the calipers in situ or are you supposed to take them off and do it? Might give mine a go. How long before you can take the car out after painting them?
Once you undo the bolts on the mount does it just slide out and the new one slides in?

I need more money as well.....

Rob

robert_waite said:
Looks really good mate. Do you just paint the calipers in situ or are you supposed to take them off and do it? Might give mine a go. How long before you can take the car out after painting them?
Once you undo the bolts on the mount does it just slide out and the new one slides in?

I need more money as well.....

Rob

I just painted them on the car. I taped up the bits i didn't want to get paint on. You're supposed to leave it 4 - 8 hours between coats and you really need two coats.

The mount just slides out. You need to torque the bolts correctly when mounting the new one though, too tight and it won't dampen anything and you'll get a lot of vibration.

concoursneil said:
How much was the S3 lower brace and where exactly does it bolt to, can you post a full view pic of it please

Cheers

Can't be bothered to put the car back on axle stands to take a picture!

It cost £20 from Audi and bolts to the wishbones, it obvious where it goes once you're under there. In the photo of the dogbone mount fitted, the brace is the beam you can see running across it.

concoursneil said:
ok mate nice one £20 sounds ideal

These are what you'll need:

Part Numbers Required Description Approximate Prices (exc VAT)
8N0199403B Strut Brace £13.20
N10467901 x 2 Bolts x 2 £0.36
N90914701 x 2 Riv Nuts x 2 £0.50

ive just looked under my s3 and i dont have a lower strut brace ?!!? i think i remember reading a while ago that some do and some dont or am i am i imagining that ?

This isn't actually a strut brace, it's a wishbone brace. That thread is talking about the brace you would fit between the top mounts.

darko said:
ive just looked under my s3 and i dont have a lower strut brace ?!!? i think i remember reading a while ago that some do and some dont or am i am i imagining that ?

My 1999 S3, one of the earlier examples with an analogue clock and no traction control has a lower brace. It's didn't have the upper strut brace which I have now fitted though...