couple of questions from a newbe

S3 AD

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have looked through this forum for info before buying my S3 & found it very helpfull so cheers for all the informatiove posts :)

Now I have finally got my hands on an S3 & loving it ( it seemed to take me ages to find a decent low milllage one with the spec I wanted but well worth the wait :) )
I thought I would say Hi & ask a couple of quick questions,

I would really appreciate it if someone could answer the following for me:

1.Under the arm rest are a couple of little compartments, they are just plastic, & things slide around & rattle in them is there a rubber lining or similar I am missing?

2.After turning of the engine, if I go to the front of the car I can here a very faint buzzing like a small electic motor, it is much to faint to be the fan still on, anyone know what it is?

3.I am still reseaxhing remap options but Revo with an SPS 2 box seem favourite at the moment. can any of you running Revo give me am idea what has happened to average MPG? I cope with it going down - which is understandable but as long as it isnt a stupid loss.

Cheers

Hi and welcome to the forum.

1. Yes, these should have anti-slip rubber linings as standard. Not sure where you'd get some from (scrapper?)

2. That's a pump circulating coolant for the turbo (not to be confused with a turbo timer which keeps the engine running and thus oil circulating). It's good practice to let the engine idle for a couple of minutes if you've been caning it to prevent the oil from carbonising in the turbo bearings which can happen if you turn off the engine when the turbo's red hot.

3. I don't have Revo on mine, but I do have an MTM rechip and if anything with economic driving (i.e. 70 - 75mph) my fuel consumption has decreased. If you cane it then of course, the figure drops - but averaging it out, I didn't notice any difference.

2. On my A4 if the air-con has been wotking hard you can hear that making a buzzing/whiney noise when you turn the engine off.

:beerchug: cheers, I knew people on here would know, I just made a call to VAG parts & they can supply the missing mat things for the centre console for about £10

jcs356 said:
Hi and welcome to the forum.

1. Yes, these should have anti-slip rubber linings as standard. Not sure where you'd get some from (scrapper?)

2. That's a pump circulating coolant for the turbo (not to be confused with a turbo timer which keeps the engine running and thus oil circulating). It's good practice to let the engine idle for a couple of minutes if you've been caning it to prevent the oil from carbonising in the turbo bearings which can happen if you turn off the engine when the turbo's red hot.

3. I don't have Revo on mine, but I do have an MTM rechip and if anything with economic driving (i.e. 70 - 75mph) my fuel consumption has decreased. If you cane it then of course, the figure drops - but averaging it out, I didn't notice any difference.

I completely agree, the MPG after remap went up on motorway journeys and down when caning it (compared to before the remap). So overall not much difference.

i have revo and an SPS3 controller and i love it-totally different car. MPG increased if driving smooth but not it your right foot gets heavy!
on ebay i picked my SPS3 controller up for £155 when its 300 new. so i would have a look on ebay
its worth the money for the remap and the way u can control boost, timing etc is exellent
have fun mate

I agree on all points. MPG was a particular (nice) surprise to me - motorway cruising you can get up to 38MPG at 70mph. Thrash it though and you will get 20MPG. I do a bit of both and average about 29MPG.

I've been really pleased with my AMD custom remap. I've heard good things about the MTM remap too, although a bit more expensive than others I believe (QST in Haywards Heath do MTM).

monkeytrousers said:
I've heard good things about the MTM remap too, although a bit more expensive than others I believe (QST in Haywards Heath do MTM).

Yeah, nice and torquey (over 310 lb/ft). I agree it is more expensive that the AmD chip, plus I found QST's customer service left a little to be desired. I hasten to add I haven't been back to QST and I don't think I'd use them again. Shame someone else doesn't do MTM in the UK.