A3 1.8TQ - A Few Niggles, Advice would be much appreciated

jcswilts

Whoooooosh.....
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Here goes, my first post on this truly excellent forum!

I Have a A3 1.8T Quattro on a 2000 W plate with 68000mi and I absolutely love it, Apart from a few niggly problems I have.

I have been looking around the forums for a couple of days trying to find a resolution, but have yet found nothing specific.

The problems are:

Creaking noise when travelling over uneven surfaces

Now I believe this could be the ARB bushes as mentioned in previous posts so I have had the front bushes and metal C shaped clamps replaced which cured the noise for about 3 weeks but it is now back and sounds quite a bit louder and more from the rear of the car.

Is this just simply the rear ARB bushes need doing as well?

If so can anyone give some advice as to exactly which bushes it is on the rear as the majority of detailed ARB forum posts seem to be about FWD cars and not 4WD, or is it the same?

Noisy Air conditioning

Air con works ok, blows nice cool air (not as good as it should be though i think) but when it is on there is substantially more noise coming from the engine bay (compressor maybe?) and the revs at idle drop about 100-200rpm.

Is this normal or is something on the way out?

And Finally, hesitation on acceleration when engine is cold

Right up until the engine reaches temperature the acceleration through the low gears seems quite hesitant. Its not massively noticable but very annoying, any ideas?

Any advice that you guru's can give will be nuch appreciated.

Cheers!

Question 2 sounds fairly normal to me.

Re 3 - do you have your air-con on at the same time? Turn it off and it should be smoother.... also, i wait a few minutes when i start it from cold before i set off and drive it gently until it's warmed up a bit...

Re 3 - do you have your air-con on at the same time?

No not usually although I do notice differences in performance when the AC is on, I figure it may just be because the turbo is cold as at normal temp everything is fine.

Question 2 sounds fairly normal to me.

I don't think it is normal, it is quite surprising the difference in noise when the AC is on TBH it makes the car sound rough from the outside :eek:(

Would a re-gas help in anyway, I am not an air-con expert so I really don't know?

Possible reason fot the creek:

My doors creek when i go over uneven surfaces. I think it is the rubbers between the door and the body work. The sport model's suspension is quite stiff and i think the flexing of teh body work causes slight movement in the door frame which in turn, creeks.

Hope this helps, and if im wrong then i'd appreciate any comments as mine has the same problem!! LOL.

Cheers
Dave.

Does the creaking from the rear sound like the same type of creak that was coming from the front? I would suggest it's the rear ARB / Bushes / Drop Links that's making the creaking - you don't want to use WD40 but if you pop down halfrauds they sell silicone spray grease that should be safe on rubber bushes - spray this on the bushes at the rear and see if it helps, you may also want to spray some on the drop link joints while your there.

Does the creaking from the rear sound like the same type of creak that was coming from the front?

It's similar, the creaking on the front used to occur on more gentle undulations in the road, where as the new creak I am hearing only occurs on more harsh bumps and humps and it sounds more like the creaking sound of a well used bed springs ;)

Cheers :)

The hesitaion could be youre N75 valve or MAF Sensor. I had a similar problem with the acceleration coming in waves, kind of on and off boost. I replaced the N75J that had been fitted with an N75F and its all good!
Hope it might help.

The Air Con thing seems normal to me as well. But then again maybe mine is knackered as well!

Creaking for me was the ARB bushes. Had them all done by Audi under my used warranty just before it ran out. Nice!

Enjoy the car mate!

Sorry, I copied the link but it doesnt open up. It costs £32.77 and its the F variant I fitted. Type N75 in the search box and it will pop up. Loads cheaper on Vagaparts than from a stealer.