S3 engine failure ...

ade_g

Reaction score
Hi to everyone, 1st post here...

My engine 'blew' at the weekend whilist I was in Germany. Not really sure what the problem is but the guy at the Audi service centre the car was recovered to says it needs a new engine. I have an Audi Warranty as the car brought from a dealer approx 2 months ago(!). They (Audi Warranty) can't confirm that it will be covered (probably hedging their bets until i get the report on what happened and/or what caused it). It's being repaired out there as I never took out the european assistance to get it back to the UK. They al,so say because the car is being repaired in the EU I have to pay and then claim back (!!!!)

So my main question is has anyone else had any experience of engine failure and claiming on the warranty? And am I right in thinking that engine failures aren't unusual for this engine?

Symptoms were a loss of power, followed by the oil pressure warning light coming on and then horrible knocking noises (I was already trying to stop at this point!). The next day the mechanic got me to hold my hand over the oil filler hole whilist he ran the engine and there was air being blown up out of the filler hole (which obviously isn't normal!).. they've since said that the Turbo is on the way out and it might be best to replace this at the same time... :banghead: :banghead:

Needless to say the fact if only had the car 2 months and done just over 1,000 miles means I will be expecting Audi UK/warranty to re-imburse all the costs for the work !!!

Should get a better update on the cause tomorrow (as they are taking the engine apart then) so hopefully Audi will be able to confirm then that i'm covered...

Can't see how it wouldn't be covered either under the warranty or "fit for purpose" if it's only done 1000 miles sinse you bought it whether new or not - I take it, it was bought from an Audi main dealer?

What milleage has the car done?

Welcome and sorry it's not under a better situation - good luck!

god_thats_quick said:
Can't see how it wouldn't be covered either under the warranty or "fit for purpose" if it's only done 1000 miles sinse you bought it whether new or not - I take it, it was bought from an Audi main dealer?

What milleage has the car done?

Welcome and sorry it's not under a better situation - good luck!

Thanks for the support!

Purchased from a main Audi dealer, it's done roughtly 55k. I'm also of the opinion that it must be covered.. but some of my more pessimistic friends are starting to scare me! Hopefully it will all resolve itself in the next day or two once i get a report on what went wrong..

It would be much easier if Audi took care of the Admin and communication with VAG in Germany (thankfully i have a German friend who's translating for me) but they (the Warranty claims division) are initially saying I have to pay and claim back once i have the car back. I'm tempted to say I haven't got the funds to cover it (presumably £5k or thereabouts) and see where they go from there..

I'm waiting to get the info they initially asked for (a report of what failed and why) before starting any discussions as my guess is until I have this they can't really do much...

I don't think there should be any question if it's got the main dealer warranty and you just bought it - have you spoken to both the dealer that you bought it from and Audi UK CS? I would also say don't pay the money upfront at all let them sort it out, Audi germany to talk to Audi UK CS, I got them to by one email so it's not that hard!

Hope you get it sorted soon and keep us posted!

Yeah, good luck on that Ade G... seems cut and dry to me. Let us know what happens.

Sounds like you were sold a bit of a dud - esp if the turbo was on its way out too... i'd get on to the Citizens Advice Bureau and Trading Standards ASAP as an Audi main dealer should not have sold a car to you in this state. You've only had it for 2 months! I'd even go so far as speaking to the manager of the dealership and mention that you're getting advice from Trading Standards if they don't resolve it very soon.
They shouldn't be allowed to get away with this.
Keep us posted!

BerkshireFlipper said:
Again , good luck with that. I'm still having trouble with mine 11 weeks into the dispute.
I posted some contacts that may be of some use in a previous thread -
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=23765

hope you have more luck

just read your post !!! Outragous that they didn't spot this under warranty and then want to charge you full costs!! Surely that's what we pay the extra to buy from a main dealer !

Thanks for the numbers, will be calling the UK customer service deptartment this afternoon to request that either they or the Warranty department liase with the people in germany (who so far have been completely helpful!). Once I have an answer/update I will keep you all posted. Thanks..

ade_g