neighbours hate me cos of alarm!!!

starski4578

Reaction score
I remember reading about this being quite a common problem but i need some advice please! Basically my car alarm goes off whenever it wants....usually in the middle of the night or when i'm working away. All i basically can gather from previous posts is that maybe the backup battery has corroded onto the circuit board thingy! Am i right to think the alarm unit is part of the centrl locking unit located next to the sub in the boot? If this is the part i need then i guess i'll be coughing up 290 pounds to the stealers. One thing i just tried which seems to have turned off the alarm for now is unplugging the brown plug. The only problm is my car is not armed now and i guess the factory immobilizer wont be effective either.
Anyway hope i get some feed back soon as im away for two weeks come friday and i would like to get it sorted before i go

If its the interior sensor alarm thats being triggerd, im sure there are a couple of buttons on inside of drivers door bit thingy, behind the drivers seat on B post is it? to turn things off..maybe im wrong.

I think the best thing would be to disable the interior sensors as slug says and see how you get on! One of the other things that can set the alarm off is if you've got a dodgy door latch sensor - you've not had any pulsing of the interior lights or the DIS saying the doors open have you?

disabling the interior sensors worked on mine for a bit.

as far as i can tell, the alarm unit is not part of the central locking pump, but it is buried under the sub side of the car.

I think i can say its not the interior sensors, first time it happened i turned them off on the door pillar but the alarm still triggered for no reason. Does anyone have experience with the backup battery leaking, the car is 7 years old and im sure someone posted something about it once. Thanks for all your replys

do you have an after market alarm on there as well(maybe a stupid question but i have reasons)

madvw said:
disabling the interior sensors worked on mine for a bit.

as far as i can tell, the alarm unit is not part of the central locking pump, but it is buried under the sub side of the car.

That's correct. It's below the pump and is hard to reach. You have to take out the sub, CD changer, the rear trim, and C/L pump.

Hang on Ive hard my alarm and it just makes pathetic little beeps... dunno how that could annoy anyone..

Check out this thread:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=14541

and look at the post by paul brad, he says that when the battery inside the siren drains sufficiently it thinks that it is being tampered with and will set the alarm off randomly. He replaced it and it resolved the issue. Hope this helps.

Aaron

The alarm is completely standard so im guessing the battery backup needs to be replaced. I got confused with the C/L pump thinking it was the alarm unit!! Thanks for clearing that one up. Appreciate all the help, i'll let u know when i get to the bottom of it. Its going into a garage on thursday for other things such as creaking over speed bumps(ARBS?) and leaking NSF CV boot!! Which the stealers wanted £185 for! Anyway going away for a fortnight on friday so shud be like new when i get back!! Just gona be sweating over the costs AGAIN!

silver75 said:
Hang on Ive hard my alarm and it just makes pathetic little beeps... dunno how that could annoy anyone..

Try it going off for about 30mins at 6:30AM on new years day because the main battery is flat and you can't stop it by doing anything and need to jump start the car with a layer of ice / frost everywhere and being a touch hungover then that beep turns into being annoying!

Note to self don't leave the main interior light on as it will drain the battery on a cold night in about 6 hours!

god_thats_quick said:
Note to self don't leave the main interior light on as it will drain the battery on a cold night in about 6 hours!
Strange you should say that, as mine started to happen after somebody left one of the rear courtesy lights on....

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh,

I stupidly left the interior light on in my car (1999 A4 1.8 T Sport) and i haven't used it for about 5 weeks. You can guess the rest......

I've charged the battery but the alarm is constantly going off. I suspect it's the backup battery/siren because i've been getting the 4 beeps intermittently for months.

Has anyone had the battery/siren replaced and what is the cost.?

Has anyone disconnected the siren before and do you have any instructions.

Thanks for your help in advance,
Rob.