Noob

S3-James

Reaction score
New member here. Just found this forum, seems to be one of the busier S3 forums which is always good. Had my S3 a few months now, still going strong :racer:

Here are a couple of pics, need to take some better quality ones!

DSC00096.jpg

S3004.jpg

Welcome and very nice colour too. Ming blue by anychance? Whats the rest of the spec on your S3?

Cheers for the welcome.

I think its ming blue but not totally sure, how do i find out?

Spec:

RSTT Wheels, OEM alloy mirrors, light Grey leather, dv007, BOSE - although it has a Alpine DVD player in it now with genesis amp and sub. Also uprgraded the disks to some drilled and grooved but not too impressed with them so far:

disks.jpg

Think thats it. Would love to get it chipped and have some coilovers with spacers for the back but the funds are lacking :keule:

Colour code should be on the sticker in the spare wheel well, or in the front of the service book.

Looks a little light for Ming blue, Azure blue is a possibility which was only available on pre-facelift cars.

Lovely looking S3, very nice colour!! Like the audi logo on the front calipers!! What discs are they??

welcome ! sweet ride !

Cheers people.

Yeah i think mine is a bit lighter than Ming blue, although it always looks darker in the pics.

The disks are made by Rossini, i thought i would go for some decent ones when i warped the last ones so i got these, however i put standard pads in (as the bloke said) and they dont seem that good. Do you think it will be the pads letting me down?

S3-James said:
Cheers people.

Yeah i think mine is a bit lighter than Ming blue, although it always looks darker in the pics.

The disks are made by Rossini, i thought i would go for some decent ones when i warped the last ones so i got these, however i put standard pads in (as the bloke said) and they dont seem that good. Do you think it will be the pads letting me down?

'Don't seem that good' - is that over standard or altogether? I'm not sure you'll feel that much difference in stopping power running upgraded discs / pads alone, maybe just a reduction in fade. I have Tarox G88 and strada pads and like them (especially the noise under hard braking!!) but not sure they are a huge improvement over standard (other than reduced fade).

Regards,

B.

S3-James said:
Cheers people.

'Don't seem that good' - is that over standard or altogether? I'm not sure you'll feel that much difference in stopping power running upgraded discs / pads alone, maybe just a reduction in fade. I have Tarox G88 and strada pads and like them (especially the noise under hard braking!!) but not sure they are a huge improvement over standard (other than reduced fade).

Regards,

B.

Dont seem that good altogether. After i had bed them in for a few weeks (including some failry hard braking) i thought i would try them out "properly". This involved me geting up to 80ish then stamping on the pedal. When i did this the pedal went really far down, and the brakes were ****. After this the pedal travel increased quite a bit for a few days until it seemed to fix itself and firmed up, and it seems better when braking from high speed. I still suffer brake fade after braking from high speed a few times though, but who knows? Its over my head. I changed the brakes myself so i probably forgot to put the caliper back on, lol.

Pads? Fluid? Disks?

S3-James said:
Dont seem that good altogether. After i had bed them in for a few weeks (including some failry hard braking) i thought i would try them out "properly". This involved me geting up to 80ish then stamping on the pedal. When i did this the pedal went really far down, and the brakes were ****. After this the pedal travel increased quite a bit for a few days until it seemed to fix itself and firmed up, and it seems better when braking from high speed. I still suffer brake fade after braking from high speed a few times though, but who knows? Its over my head. I changed the brakes myself so i probably forgot to put the caliper back on, lol.

Pads? Fluid? Disks?

I'm certainly no expert but I might get this checked out. Could be pads but that wouldn't account for the pedal travel. Further pedal travel would suggest low brake fluid pressure. Not sure why this would recover though.

Perhaps a more knowledgeable poster can help you out?

Regards,

B.

Suggest you replace tghe hoses with braided ones, upgrade your pads to some better ones than the oem ones and rebleed the whole system using the pressure method and not the pumping the pedal method. All of this is not too expensive to do.