Some git has scratched the rear bumper of my S3!

MarkyB

Reaction score
Grrrr. Dozy neighbour has gouged a nice big scratch along 70% of the width of my rear bumper and taken a couple of chunks out of the rubber strip thingy that runs just above the exhaust - see attached photo.

It appears to be cosmetic damage, but I intend to get it thoroughly checked in case they've caught the exhaust and damaged any of the mountings.

Other party was clearly at fault - my car was parked up and I was stood next to it when it happened - so it'll be an insurance job.

I think I have a good case to argue for the whole rear bumper section to be replaced; which will probably be cheaper than the labour rate for repairing it.

* Given that the S3 bumpers are plastic with colour-coded paint, I'm guessing that they're not going to be very easy to repair without having whatever paint they apply flake off again. Plus the rubber strip has been scuffed/gouged and would need to be replaced.

Can anyone offer me any sage-like advice on how to broach this with my insurer (DirectLine)?

I have 5 years Protected No-Claims and can make up to 3 claims in 2 years without loosing it.

My nearest Audi Dealer is Dovercourt in Bristol. They've done all the servicing on my car from new which is a MY01 S3

Thanks,

Mark.

You were parked and stationary, clearly a non-fault claim so claim, get the other parties details and you won't touch your no claims, protected or not. You should even get your excess back but you may need to fight for it.

I had a similar one where a collegue reversed his Land Rover into my bonnet. New bonnet, front bumper, lights etc. All sorted out and no impact on my no claims.

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your prang, glad you got it sorted and thanks for the advice on how to procede with my claim /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Mark.

thats what my rear bumper looks like, all done by other people...

Right, phoned up DirectLine and reported the incident over the phone (no forms to fill in, yay!), was told that it shouldn't touch my insurance and they'd be on to the other party double-quick. Gave my friend's (who was with me at the time) details as a witness, so it should be water-tight!

Took car to the nearest DL approved Body Shop - which happens to be DoverCourt Audi (talk about convenient!) The assser chap was very polite and efficient, had a good look at the damage, got his m8 to double-check and proclaimed that it would be best to replace the entire bumper. I'm booked in for 1st October to have it replaced, bit of a delay whilst they order the parts in and spray it NoggyBlue!

All was going swimmingly, until I noticed that I picked up another ding over the weekend whilst the car was parked up on the road. Some complete b*stard has put a big crease in the driver's side a-post (the one that runs along the edge of the windscreen). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

I'd have a job claiming that was anything to do with the damage to the rear-bumper, so I asked them what they could do for me.

Damage Asseser chap was a bit perplexed by the damage as there were no marks anywhere else and it looks like someone's deliberately hit the a-post with something blunt and heavy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anyhoo, those repairs will come in at just under the excess for my FullyComp insurance which means it's coming straight out of my pocket /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif Body Shop are doing the work at a discount as they'll have my car in to sort the bumper out and should have a fresh tin of NoggyBlue paint on hand.

Ho-hum. Bang goes my beer-money for this month and any thoughts of upgrading to Sky-Plus for a while. I'd literally just put the deposit down on my Skiing Holiday about an hour before I got dinged, so I'm completely and utterly skint now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Still, at least I have my S3 to wash and polish and love and cherish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif - even if my mates do think I'm a bit obsessed with it.

MarkyB.

Feel for you m8.

Good news on the bumper but truely unlucky on the door post. Hope it's all sorted out soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Jesus, what w**k man. But Yes at least she is still with you through these tough times.

Too many short journeys == dirty exhaust /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif although it's only got 12K on the clock so it's still running in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Not sure about the VW side of things, the BodyShop hadn't got their new PDQ machine in yet and had to ring over to dealership in Brislington to ransack my credit card for the repairs to the a-post - rear bumper is coming out of the other party's insurance.

I'm hoping I can survive with my S3 until the new S3 comes along (fingers crossed there *will* be an S3) otherwise I've got my eye on the A4 Cab - in Nogaro Blue of course!

Mark