new tyre needed - do i need two though?

comdw

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
i've just got a nasty puncture in one of my front tyres (side wall so it can't be repaired)

The one on the other side is part worn - so do I have to get a pair of new ones or can I just replace the flat? i.e. will it affect handling/performance if the tyres aren't equally worn.

how about if I swap both fronts with the rears (which are equally part worn) so the different treads are on the rears?

also i'm skint after having only just bought the car! are there any "good value" tyres out there without being too cheap and nasty? think the current ones are bridgestone...

I've had a 5 month old Bridgestone REO40 sitting in my hall for the last 6 months. Perfectly good condition, but victim of my switch to F1s. Its in n. london - yours for peanuts if you want.

Inigo

Sorry Inigo I would have been interested if it wasn't for the fact that the other front has run out of tread too and also needs replacing.

Also its Pirelli (P6000s) that I have all round on my car, not Bridgestones.

The owners manual says that you shouldn't use different tread types on any of the tyres because it can damage the drive system. Does anyone pay attention to this. This would mean I'd be forced to get two new P6000s or replace all four tyres?

comdw, different tyre depths shouldn't damage anything on the car. Left to right it's only the std. front or rear diff, can't see how it would cause a problem. Front to rear the Haldex doesn't care. You don't say what your car is.

I know someone with a TT recently faced with the same decision, they went for a new P6000. Also, if you want to wear the new tyre faster, put it on the left hand side front, it gets more wear due to roundabouts.

Overall I'd be more inclined to keep the same tread on all four, but folks might have different opinions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

For what it's worth, when I bought my S3 with 10,000 on the clock I asked the dealer to put new tyres on. They said they would only change tyres that didn't meet the requirements of their used car safety checks. When I went to collect it I found a brand new set of tyres on the front but the originals on the back.
They were all the same pattern though so I guess if the dealers think its ok to change fronts and not rears and keep the same pattern then it must be ok - unless they happen to be muppets.

I think you're supposed to change both tyres on the axle. Check out the Group Buy/Discount secton as we have a deal going with one of the tyre companies!

Owning TT's for the past few years, i have had the same dilema. The answer is as follows...

1. ALWAYS use the same make&model tyre on ALL 4 corners.
2. If you need to change one on the back, change the other on the back aswell
3. If you need to change one on the front, change the other on the front aswell
4. You do NOT need to change ALL 4 tyres

This is to protect your haldex and the drive.

Hope this helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ok thanks for all the replies - its an S3 by the way.

from what you say i have to go with Pirelli P6000s unless I change all my tyres to a new make/model.

do you have any experience of how quickly the haldex can be damaged by mismatched tread patterns? like just for a few thousand miles if I was to get some second hand part-worns for the front (of different make to the back) so that they'd all wear out at the same time.

[ QUOTE ]
comdw said:
Ok thanks for all the replies - its an S3 by the way.

from what you say i have to go with Pirelli P6000s unless I change all my tyres to a new make/model.

do you have any experience of how quickly the haldex can be damaged by mismatched tread patterns? like just for a few thousand miles if I was to get some second hand part-worns for the front (of different make to the back) so that they'd all wear out at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

The S3 and TT share the same floorpan and Haldex drivetrain, so its the same principle.

Personally i wouldn't take any chances, just get 2 new tyres(the same brand as whats on the car all round) on the front or back, whichever is required. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I've got different treads between the front and back (Continentals on the front, Dunlops on the back - no not my choice, it's a lease car!)

My leasing company won't even change both tyres on the axle if one goes, let alone all 4!

I've done about 10-15k miles on that setup and not noticed any problems.

wouln't have a problem getting the same makes if they weren't so damn expensive - can't get them (P6000s) for under £100 each and its not like they are best choice out there anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Dealer told me there was no problem with different makes front and rear (turbo quattro) as long as both are radial. Need to be the same or better speed rating but otherwise no problem. I run F1 on front and primacy on rear, no worries from my side and dealer seems happy.

I blew two transfer boxes on a Cav turbo 4x4 due to uneven tyre wear the second blew when I fitted the spare after a puncture it got about 50yds. I know what ill be doing when I need tyres, four new Bridgestones please

I thought on the Haldex website it says it compensate for different tyres and wear...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

its all too confusing. think i'm going to go with the P6000s just to be on the safe side..

but i still have trouble believing that a difference in the tread PATTERN front vs rear can mess up the haldex, yet running different tread depths front and rear with all same tread pattern is OK. Are we sure its not just the tyre type (e.g. radial) that has to be matched? Do you know of any haldex references on this kmpowell?