Need advise

stevehart

Bring on the Ice!!
Reaction score
I Just bought a 52 plate S3 last week and have just been getting the feel of it.

I took it out for a spin the other day. In the dry it bit well into the corners and felt pretty tight. However, when the roads became wet the car started spinning and sliding in the corners, even at low speeds. I have checked the tire pressures and they were at the recommended 34 psi (as indicated inside the filler cap). This seems a little high to me.

Can anyone help or have suggestions

Correct tyre pressures, especially on 18's, some on here will recommend 38psi at the rear to promote a little oversteer...

17" wheels should be 32psi, so I'm guessing you have 18" alloys?

The S3 is prone to understeering, so try lowering the front psi to induce more grip. I used to run 30psi front and 32psi rear on 17" wheels. With 18" wheels try 32psi front and 34psi rear.

Thats far doo's i guess,

But with 4WD I was expecting it to be pretty sure footed in wet conditions.? or did I just believe the hype?

I dropped the pressures to 30 to see if it would make a difference but haven't had a chance to test it yet.

Also tyres make a big difference. If you're running Dunlops then it's a miracle you haven't written it off yet.

AndyMac said:
Also tyres make a big difference. If you're running Dunlops then it's a miracle you haven't written it off yet.

I second that!

I've got them on my car and they are rubbish in the wet!

What tyres have you got mate? Please Don't say Avon ZZ1's either!

I'm going to be in the market for some fresh rubber soon, and the tyre choice really can make or break a cars handling.

The OEM choice for S3's is Bridgestone Potenza RE040's, and I really don't have a problem with them, they last ages, give really nice grip in dry and wet and are really predictable.. even with the recommended pressures for OEM 17" Avus rims..

Is it just me, or am I missing out on something real special with the Goodyear Eagles?

Got Dunlops on mine. Nothing wrong here. SP 9000 though. Not the ones you find standard fit. Like you said Rich, hope they are not Avons ! Although I have to say, these dunlops are getting as noisy. Directional !

Chris.

stevehart said:
the rear two are accelera (never heard of them) and the fronts are dunlops

get them all changed.....to the same make for starters, goodyear eagle F1s get my vote !

stevehart said:

best i've had are Toyo T1R's - very grippy in wet and dry
i learnt my lesson with cheap tyres about 3 years ago.

stevehart said:

I think you may have found your problem mate...

Cheers everyone,

That really is helpfull. Such a great site this! been looking for an S3 forum ever since I made up my mind to go S3.

Happy again!

By the way, about how much will a set of Toyo T1R's set me back?

Steve

It's probably the Accelera's that were keeping you on the road at all.
Get a guide price from black circles then call the local fitter they recommend and get a better price from him, you'll save a further £10-£15 per tyre.

AndyMac said:
It's probably the Accelera's that were keeping you on the road at all.
Get a guide price from black circles then call the local fitter they recommend and get a better price from him, you'll save a further £10-£15 per tyre.

Seconded - Best way to get tyres cheap! The F1's are about the highest rated on the S3, - I'd say the Yokohama Parada Spec 2's have better grip but they won't last as long.

madvw said:
I'm going to be in the market for some fresh rubber soon, and the tyre choice really can make or break a cars handling.

The OEM choice for S3's is Bridgestone Potenza RE040's, and I really don't have a problem with them, they last ages, give really nice grip in dry and wet and are really predictable.. even with the recommended pressures for OEM 17" Avus rims..

Is it just me, or am I missing out on something real special with the Goodyear Eagles?

Ive run Eagles GSD3 for years.... definately the best all round tyre in my IMO.

Excellent in both dry and wet, only thing you need to be aware of they work better with a little heat in them and as such can be a little slippy on slimy roads when the mornings are cold - need top give 10 mins before the confidence is there.

Other than that you can get 15K plus from a front set (even with a weekend at Nurburg!).

I agree - big eagle F1 fan here! superb in the wet, 4 hours on motorways the other weekend in horrible weather and standing water with 4 in the car + luggage at anywhere between 70 - 110 and felt planted on the road the whole time!

My car had the RE040's when new too. They were ok in the dry, but I found the car understeered badly in the wet. Once I changed to Goodyear F1's, the difference was incredible. Honestly. In the dry the grip is superb, and in wet weather they just give you more confidence. When the front does start to go, its progressive too, and easily controlled with the throttle.

I'm on my second set now, and I reckon 15K miles aint to bad from a sports tyre. If you rotate your wheels front-to-back etc. you can even the wear out between front-to-rear, and get a few more miles out of them.

I found that their performance was noticeably worse when 1-2mm about the tred wear indicators. So I got a new set. I guess I could have got another couple of thousand miles out of them had I not changed early.

With regards to pressures. I run 32 front, 34 rear, on 17's.

If the handling still feels funny after changing the tyres, get an alignment check done. Get them to check the bushes and torques on your suspension, anti-roll bars etc.

AL

I liked the Michelin Pilot Sports on my golf. I think they were Piloit Sport IIs but I don't know if there is a difference. Possibly not quite as grippy as the Goodyears, but I do 25k - 30k a year, and the thought of a complete new set of tyres every six months rather put me off. The Michelins lasted well, and were good and grippy. The A3 will be getting them as soon as the crappy ones the dealer put on before I bought it are worn out....

Mark

I havent read all the threads inbetween, but my 2003 S3, with factory 18" tyres on the lighter of the two loads, is 36 PSI all round.