HELP: Revs shooting to the red line between gears

J

jamiekip

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem.
Basically, putting your foot down in any of the first 3 gears and changing gear a good 1,500 to 2000 RPM before the redline the rev immediately shoot round to the limiter.
I've tried easing off the gas pedal a lot sooner and the problem isn't soo bad, but the revs still swing up rather than settling down for the next gear - and it makes for a rather jerky ride!
Spoke to dealer who said it was likely the clutch was on it's way out. The but the pedal seemed OK though but had the clutch done and the problem is still here.

I'll bet it's something electrical!!!

Any ideas any one?

It's on an S3 by the way!!!

Any help/advice appreciated.

JK

I had something similar when I first changed my DV to the turbo dynmics one. The revs would spike when you changed gear instead of dropping off. After a little run it stopped doing it, so I put it down to the fact the dv hadn't been used for a while. So it may be something like dodgy N249 or N75 not releasing the boost pressure when it should?
Just a theory, see what every one else has to say.

Jon

HI guys,

Thanks for the feedback, and apologies for taking so long to get back to you.
So, I had the clutch changed (err, how much!!!) as mentioned before, and the 'spike' in revs has persisted.
Spoke to my dealer about the N75 & N249 and was told if there was a problem i'd more likely see hesitation while on boost (don't know if that is true or not though!!).

Anyway, could it have been a result of one of the coils about to fail???
I only ask as a 2nd coil failed on Friday so the S3 is back with Audi again!!! Annoying. A known fault it seems, so looks like Audi are covering the work even though it is out of warranty. Should have it back later this week so I'll let you know if the problem has gone.

On a lighter note, whilst at the Garage had a chat with one of the sales guys who had just got back from Ingoldstat for a training session on the TT. Said he got talking to one of the engineers about the new S3.
So, going off thread a little, but the spec mentioned to me was:
260-280bhp 2 litre turbo
Quattro only
18" S3 specific rims
Full leather sports interior
Chrome mirrors as standard
No wider flare on the arches - like the S6 - I'm a bit disappointed about this!
No DSG as it is not compatable with Quattro 2 litre turbo
Didn't know whether or not the electro magnetic suspension would be an option
Likely to be £27k
Orders from Sept, delivery start of 2007.
No plans for a hardcore (RS3) version with the flared arches.

He also managed to get me a test drive in the RS4. Words cannot describe it, it truly is a proper super car!!!

Anyway, thanks again for your thoughts.

JK

Errm, going a bit further off-topic, where abouts did you get your clutch done in London, and how much (or shouldn't I ask?!"!!) - do i need to be selling the family jewels :scared2: !!!!!!!!!!!!

You shouldn't ask!
I got a quote from West London Audi for about £1200 and a quote from Hatfield Audi for about £1350.
I've got a friend who works at a stealership back home in the north east and managed to get a discounted rate on the clutch and timing belt for £950. Still a scary price.... especially when I was told the old clutch still had a good 30k miles left in it......
I saw a post in here recently talking about prices for clutches and some recognised audi independents were a lot cheaper than the stealers.... but obviously still a pricey job!

Good luck!