Switch Xenons for driving on the right?

drummA3

Reaction score
Hi - I'm a newb here, just got my first Audi, the new A3 in 2.0 TDi Sport Spec . . . in a kindof custardy yellow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Fantastic car I must say, the build quality is just superb and the interior is really excellent.
Just got a couple of questions for you guys, (I did a search but came up empty handed)
How do you switch the Xenons for driving on the right side of the road, do I really have to go to a dealer to do it?
And how long do you reckon it'll take for the turbo-diesel tuners to come up with some extra hp & lbft for this engine /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif?

Cheers for any advice,
JD.

I believe the only way is a trip to the dealers...unless I suppose it can be done with VAG-COM?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

As for the tuning, Oettinger already have a chip available, not sure about any others, and I wouldn't be suprissed if ABT release something pretty soon, followed by the rest.

This is what's on offer from Oettinger www.oettinger.de;

max. power
Oettinger 129 kW (175 bhp) @ 4000 rpm
Standard 103 kW (140 bhp) @ 4000 rpm

max. torque
Oettinger 279 lbft (380 Nm) @ 2000 rpm
Standard 235 lbft (320 Nm) @ 1750-2500 rpm

0-100 km/h
Oettinger approx. 8,2 sec
Standard approx. 9,5 sec

max. speed
Oettinger approx. 212 km/h (132 mph)
Standard approx. 207 km/h (129 mph)

And if you're not aware Oettinger are pretty good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (I'm not biased at all...look at my sig!!)

Not sure about Xenon's but the normal lights can be flicked over, but it means taking the whole light assembly out.

Audi want to charge £45 each way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks for the advice ... those Oettinger specs sound really tasty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif -
maybe I'll just stick to blinding the Frenchies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif!
cheers again,
JD.

Sorry drummA3 you will have to go to the dealer to alter the headlights the O/S one is fairly easy so I am told but the N/S one is and absolute pig./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gifMy dealer recomended that i went to Halfords for their light converter pack. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

I don't think the light converters work on xenons, due to the auto leveling system, and that's why I'm sure it's a trip to the dealers.....I'm sure someone else was looking at this a few months ago, and the result was a trip to the dealers or just blind the oncoming Fenchmen (My favorite solution).

Headlight diffusers worked on my Xenon's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But my mate got told he wasn't allowed to use them by his dealer as they would melt the headlights !!!!!!!!

Changing the xenons on the S3 is a pig. Some kind soul on A-S.net sent me the ETKA page, which I have since lost. I suggest you take it down to the dealer, mine flicked the switch for free and at a moments notice - which was nice.

I'm not sure how different they are on an A3 but on my TT i swithc back and forth very simply whenever I go abroad. I know the light units are different but I always assummed the method (flip the switch) was the same. If you can't do it easily on a A3 then presumably that means you can't change any of the bulbs either? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Switching the Xenon's is easy:

First turn the ignition off. And be careful of the turbo pipe if present as these get extremely hot.

Take off the extraneous plastic covers that Audi put there for no apparent reason other than frightening you into going down the dealership :) These cover the battery on the RHS and the washer bottle etc on the LHS.

Take off the rear cover of the headlight assembly (carefully - don't force it). It has two clips on the top, and two pegs on the bottom, so unclip the front and then left up before removing. Be careful not to foul the back of the Xenon bulb assembly or the surrounding wiring. This is the only difficult bit as there's very little room around them.

Then remove the wiring plug thing from the back of the Xenon bulb, this removes by twisting anti-clockwise by about 45 degrees.

Then down by the side of the reflector there's a small tin lever, it switches from one side to the other. It's on the right hand bottom side on both as you look down in from above. It only moves a small amount, and gives only a half positive click when moved. You will only have room to get a finger in to move it.

This lever moves a shaped metal reflector that masks the beam to form the dog leg that you see.

I've done this regularly on trips to the continent and apart from strange looks from people as you dismantle your car at the ferry terminal it goes pretty well. The lever is quite hard to find first time, but after that it's easy. I suggest a practice run at home first!

Cheers mate, will give it a go when I get home, hadn't bothered going to the dealers - was enjoying blinding the froggies, all good things come to an end... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif