I raced a APR S3 and was not very impressed

MingBluS3

Reaction score
Friday on my way home, i spotted a S3 ahead sporting a Audi Sport sticker, anyway he finally spotted me and we both nailed it up a hill back round the roundabout and then he pulled into some flats in London. Anyway i wanted to have a quick chat to the guy and follwed him to his house.

I asked if he was chipped and he said APR, so i asked him if he was flooring it and he said he was. Anyway i did not think he pulled away at all, he remained infront of me the whole time, but when can a S3 over take another S3 even when standard. So the gap remained pretty close, being AMD and pushing over 250bhp i would have assumed he would have killed me but he did not. Mines standard 210, all extras and must be alot heavier.

now i think i have written APR out of the question.
He also told me that Wando used to work for APR and was the reason he chose APR, then he found out that WANdo moved to AMD....

What was the reason for this WANDO?

On the old Audi-sport site I posted regarding some tests I had done with SitaS3 (another S3 driver) - I had APR, he had AMD. The overall consensus from our tests was that there was really nothing in it and the cars were comparable. Different chareteristics but neither car could pull away from the other

Personally I think chipped cars are in their element on the motorways or in a drag race. On a country road I cant imagine a chipped S3 could leave a standard S3.

Not saying you should get APR, just dont discount it based on what you have just experienced.

Dunc

I'd agree - APR and AMD have similar performance but a different power delivery.

IT should be noticable over a stock 210 S3 though. Maybe theres something wrong. :-\

All the chip companies give similar results, and it really depends on what type of power dwelivery you want...

Peak figures mean very little to be honest... the important bit is WHERE it peaks and how quick it drops off... I oersonally like the look of AmD and APR, cos they both peak at about 3500 and dont drop off alot, where as MTM tends to peak really high, really wuick which must feel fantastic, but drops off alot so top end power is a bit low.

Just my $2 worth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
MingBluS3 said:
Friday on my way home, i spotted a S3 ahead sporting a Audi Sport sticker, anyway he finally spotted me and we both nailed it up a hill back round the roundabout and then he pulled into some flats in London. Anyway i wanted to have a quick chat to the guy and follwed him to his house.

I asked if he was chipped and he said APR, so i asked him if he was flooring it and he said he was. Anyway i did not think he pulled away at all, he remained infront of me the whole time, but when can a S3 over take another S3 even when standard. So the gap remained pretty close, being AMD and pushing over 250bhp i would have assumed he would have killed me but he did not. Mines standard 210, all extras and must be alot heavier.

now i think i have written APR out of the question.
He also told me that Wando used to work for APR and was the reason he chose APR, then he found out that WANdo moved to AMD....

What was the reason for this WANDO?

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll need to reread your post for correction first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
You quote the car was APR then say it was AmD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, I was offered a job at the european branch of APR, but turned it down as I was also offered a job at AmD, I'd been shown what both had planned for the future and has in development and I felt AmD was the way forward, maybe if the job offered was with APR themselves and not just a reselling franchise then it would have been different, who knows!

Anyway less about me, lets concentrate on cars! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

JaybeeS3 is running a chipped (By unknown at present) S3, and I'm running an A3T with an Oettinger chip, and as a lot of you know my car does run pretty well. On our thrash across to Germany on the straights acceleration was very close and top speed wasn't far off either, we had a third gear acceleration test side by side, we nailed it almost bang on together and were dead head to head until I ran out of road /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There's no doubt about it a chipped S3 is fast but it does only seem to be marginal in certain areas, but I imagine there our other areas were it will quite easily take out an S3/chipped A3T.

Oh and just for the record when we hit the twisty bits, Jaybee was utterly annihilated by the FWD trolley....lets put it this way it wasn't the S3's fault! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

I too was expecting a massive difference, but found in this case to be only marginal, but remeber the driver does have a lot to do with it as well, even in a straight line.

Well, if the 3 of us make it up to Essen in Nov/Dec we should have a pretty good basis to run some tests /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif An Oettinger A3T, an Oettinger A3TQ and a ??? S3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

(Dude, I'll SOO friggin laugh if Jereon's S3 is an Oettinger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif)

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:

Oh and just for the record when we hit the twisty bits, Jaybee was utterly annihilated by the FWD trolley....lets put it this way it wasn't the S3's fault! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

I too was expecting a massive difference, but found in this case to be only marginal, but remeber the driver does have a lot to do with it as well, even in a straight line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gambba, I totally agree with you, has alot to do with the driver....... and I am defo not a good one (in my previous cars I used to crash atleast every six months). I still need to find out how I should drive in my car and my every day traffic jam to work doesnt really help me in finding out where the limits are or how I should treat the car to get the best out of it.
I think I need to take some sort of training or so (Audi does Quattro trainings up north in Finland) to find out how I should play with the car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

(and..... need to talk to a better tuning company to give the car an overkill of BHP's so that my lack of driving skills can be compensated with enough power (300+)
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
(Dude, I'll SOO friggin laugh if Jereon's S3 is an Oettinger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think actually that its an ABT (thats what the dutch importer of Audi uses for tuning (option on new cars, with complete importers warranty).

But thinking ..... would it be possible to "overwrite" the tuning chip thingy done by one tuner (for instance ABT) by another one (for instance Oettinger)? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

one slight error sorry Wando (APR)

Anyway still like the look or AMD

Maybe if he was in front of you you were taking advantage of the slipstream effect? I have an A4 Tdi 130 hp, a collegue has the 2.5Tdi 180 hp. If i'm behind him he cannot pull away from me, when I'm next to him it's a whole different story...