Clutch Issues? TDI QS with Revo....

TDI_Boy

Reaction score
OK, I have tried a search but both TDI and revo are too short to filter on!

While my '03 plate Tdi quattro Sport was in for some work last week, I got the garage to put a Revo map on while I was there. I have been thinking about it for ages, but thought I would finally do it!

Anyway, thing 1 is, it's great! It has sorted out my biggest complaint with the car, which is the rather digital (all or nothing) power delivery.

However, (thing 2) if I put my foot down, on say a long dual carriage way, in 3rd of 4th then the revs rise, but the speed dosn't, followed by the revs falling back down and the speed then increasing as you would expect. I think this what I have heard descibed as clutch slip...

I was assured that being a quattro, I should have the bigger clutch, and so clutch slip should not be an issue. Does anyone else have similar issues?

Cheers
Mark

Yes - that's definitely a slipping clutch. Exactly what happened to me (and others) after a remap.

I started a very popular thread several months ago but it doesn't appear to have survived the recent forum revamp.

I was told by a local independent Audi dealer that the clutch was the most likely mechanical part to fail following a remap - rather at odds with what you have been told.

But your description is EXACTLY what I experienced and I had to have an uprated clutch fitted which was £900. Had no problems since.

Hmmm... £900 on the clutch is not the sort of money I want to be spending. Out of curiosity Who did the clutch for you? Was it a custom friction plate, or an off-the-shelf uprated one? I would be interested in reading your thread if it can be dug up...

Was the milage comment aimed at me or Mr Trousers? If so, the car has done just shy of 60k total, and I have done 150 miles since the remap... why?

Cheers
Mark

TDI_Boy said:
OK, I have tried a search but both TDI and revo are too short to filter on!

While my '03 plate Tdi quattro Sport was in for some work last week, I got the garage to put a Revo map on while I was there. I have been thinking about it for ages, but thought I would finally do it!

Anyway, thing 1 is, it's great! It has sorted out my biggest complaint with the car, which is the rather digital (all or nothing) power delivery.

However, (thing 2) if I put my foot down, on say a long dual carriage way, in 3rd of 4th then the revs rise, but the speed dosn't, followed by the revs falling back down and the speed then increasing as you would expect. I think this what I have heard descibed as clutch slip...

I was assured that being a quattro, I should have the bigger clutch, and so clutch slip should not be an issue. Does anyone else have similar issues?

Cheers
Mark

got mine re-mapped too - 57k on clock and clutch could not take it. 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th it just let go.
Got new SACHS OE clutch from euro parts and new concentric slave for about 180 quid. Fitted 120 quid. So i spent 315 in total.

Car drives like my old mapped 130 Ibiza - loads of grunt

monkeytrousers, I am in Horsham - not far from haywards heath, so I might give them a call, thanks.

sprout99, surely an OE cluth is going to have the same issues after a while? I tend to keep cars for quite a lot of miles, (did ~70k in my golf in 2.5 years) so the idea of changing the clutch every 50k really dosn't appeal! Is your car 2 or 4wd?

I am assuming that the clutch would need to be bigger on a 4wd car as the rolling resistance is higher, so the biting point would be at a greater torque output from the engine?

Mark

Reason why I asked how many miles its done was the fact mine has done 33K and im plannin on a remap soon, so hopefully only havin 33K on clutch wud last a fair bit.

Just been for a conversation with the guys that did the remap. The bill for a new clutch is somewhat prohibitive, so we have deactivated the code for now, and there is no clutch problem. I think I am going to have to have it removed.. :(

Did you guys do the dual mass flywheel when you did your clutch? The guys I was talking to reckon they have had to do clutches on cars with 40k on the clock, and that they quote for the flywheel, as more often than not is also needs that too. It all depends on how sympathetically the car has been driven. My car was a lease car up to 43k when I bought it, so I suspect it will have been hammered a bit. :(

Mark

Mine had 33k on clock when it was remapped! Clutch started slipping three months later. You might be lucky and not need a new one, but I would bear it in mind as a possible extra cost associated with the remap.

monkeytrousers said:
I didn't have the flywheel changed.

me neither - new clutch is great

bear in mind depends how car has been driven in past - my ibiza had 5k on when i bought it and 32 when sold. I did 25k with re-map and no bother apart from extreme cold weather - which is expected.

Audi has 57k on it and i suspect it did a lot of town work before i bought it.

std SACHS clutch can handle around 420Nm - most re-maps are up to about 400 ~ 410