Tyre choice for an S3

Nogaro

Reaction score
I'm currently running 18" Michelin Pilot Sports on my S3. I'll be looking for tyres soon, and I'm more interested in performance and life than comfort. The Michelins are the original fitment, and I'm happy enough with them (Although they could be better in the wet) but I wonder what comments you might all have on the following:

1) Goodyear F1's (Haven't they recently changed to a new type which aren't so well received?) I ran some on my A4 2.8q and loved them. That was about a year ago.

2) Pirelli P Zero.. mixed reactions on the web.

3) Anything else you fancy? Bridgestone? Toyo?

In addition i'm noticing that my fronts are wearing slightly more in the middle - normally a sign of over inflation. I'm running them at the recommended 36psi.. any comments?

Anything on tyres/ pressures for S3 appreciated.. While you're at it any recommendations as to where to buy them from?

Thanks.

Hi Nogaro,
Just looking at your post and I noticed that the tyre pressures that you are showing could be wrong! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gifThe label in my fuel falp says fo 45 section tyres. Normal use F32psi R32psi. So maybe this is the reason for the abormal wear to the middle of the rear tyres? Laden with lots of bodies and cases F36psi R42psi.
With regards to tyres I am at present using Yokohams AVS tyres and they are great!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Priced fitted etc £100 per corner. No real comments to make so far.

Thanks for the reply.

Just double checked the fuel flap.. For my 225/40/18's it's saying 36/36 and 40/44 for when loaded (Eeek!)

Are you on 17"'s Ivrac?

That's a good price for the Yoko's, even at 17" (I ran my previous A5 2.8q on 17" Avus wheels). I'll put them on the shortlist.

Regards,

36 psi is correct if your car came with factory fitted 18"s, my fuel filler says 36/36 too.

My car came with P Zeros and I tracked my car 3 times with those tyres on and had no complaints. They also lasted just over 14000 miles including the track days.

I wanted to try something different so am 1500 miles into Potenza S03s, jury still out on them. Softer ride, better in wet (P Zero worried me in wet) but overall (so far) cant say they are better.

Quite a few people recommend Toyos atm

Dunc

For the tyre pressures I underinflate my slightly in order to compensate for when they heat up as the air expands when driving, this may be the cause for the wear. I noticed in the summer time that they went up 2-3psi so inflated my to 30/31 to compensate.

On the tyres, I would have to say GoodYears, I have the GSD3 on the rears at the moment with Toyos on the front. Previously I had Toyos all round, I have to say that the grip in both the dry and the wet from the rear is very very good however the road noise is obvious. Can't comment on the amount of wear you will get out of them as I have only had them on for a couple of months.

I had toyos and raved about them previously but I have noticed the sidewall is quite weak when compard to others (S02, SO3, RE040, Contis,) and they are prone to tramlining. For the wear they are a very soft tyre in MHO but turned round 11K for general day to day + a bit of hard driving.

Also looking at the tyres the Goodyears do seem to have the better footprint but more importantly disperse the water better as they have more angled treadlines when compared to the Toyos.

Also at my Local place Wheelgame in Tadley the Toyos are more expensive £105 compared to £99 for the GoodYears.

Basically I can't wait to put the Goodyears on the front!

Not sure. they do GSD 2 and GSD 3. Does anyone know what the difference is?

Yeah the GSD3 are the newer version, i think they have a slightly different tread than the GSD2. I haven't seen any GSD2 around to comment on.

Compare

At the risk of sounding like an anorak, does it state GSD2/3 on the sidewall somewhere, or how can I check?
Thanks for the replies so far

NOGARO... A little off topic. Your S3 pic. Icon thingy is 1.7mb. It takes ages to load. May be worth making it a touch smaller. lol

Never out of it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Got fur round the hood as well.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
MingBluS3 said:
Are you lot sure it's 36 psi on 225/40/18 mine had 28psi in each tyre when i checked last night. It now has 36 but it feels a bit hard.

Just want to double check.

My car came with 17's so there is no idicator on what pressure i should have.

[/ QUOTE ]

defenitely 36 all round on factory fitted 18s

I personally run my slightly lower

Dunc

Have been offered over the weekend 4 new Michelin Pilot PS2 Sports - (directionals) 225/ 40/ 18, 350 quid brand new in the wrappers.

Is this a good deal?

Plus my current tyres are the PS1 model the first style, is the PS2 any good.