How do you change those speakers??

RSAudi

Reaction score
Hi all

Thinking of changing the rather pathetic standard speakers in my A3 and wondered how to change the ones at the sides of the rear seat? Looks to me like a BIG job removing all that plastic!! Can one simply remove the grill from in front of the speakers and then remove the unit?

Ta for help

I am thinking of uprating my rear speakers soon and was also having some trouble last time in removing this panel. Could you post this pictures to this post? It would be really helpful! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers,

Thanks Lewy, helped me a bit as well! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Lewy, did you not mean 'pull fecking hard!'

Those panels are hard to get off, and I was constantly under the fear of breaking clips or something, like on my Pug from many years ago (Cheap french cr@p).

I'm glad they were of some help, here goes for the fronts.

Remove the 3 screws, then remove the plastic cover from inside of the door handle, this should then expose the two 1" long screws securing the door panel to the door frame. Then once removed gently tug upwards, don't try to rip it up as you'll need to disconnect the lecky window switches, the door release mechanism, and the door mirror switches. If your replacing original speakers, then you'll need some adaptors like the autoleads ones (sh1t), or the Alpine ones (good). Remeber to put something on the floor directly under the door panel, as it will sit at an awkward angle until you have disconnected the gubbins.

Hope this is of some help.

Lewy

Thanks again Lewy

I am getting my speakers from CEL in Leicester as I live about 5 miles away and they told me that they should have some that fit. Very good bunch of people tha tfixed the head unit in my old car.

Don't know about car audio as must be obvious from this thread but my current speakers are shot and crackle at reasonble volume /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Bit cheeky I know, but check CEL's internet price first, and then get them to do it for that in the shop, as the price difference can be tremendous, not so long ago I got them to do me an amp for £280 when it was advertised in the shop for £350!!!

If you still have trouble with the panels/speakers, I'm only 5 mins the other side of Melton if you want a hand.

Lewy

Hi Lewy what age is your car? I notice you have the same interior check trim as my 97 model but you have the red door lights in yours plus that white light in the lower door that illuminates the road surface at night! Lucky you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

Hi guys,

Thanks for the pictures, they do help. However I have just tried to get the rear panel off. Unfortunatly I am not pop-eye and I am applying a lot of force pushing the panel up, but the blighter refuses to budge. Is it just a case of pulling up on the panel? Silly question i know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. If it is then I think I will get me and a mate to try at the weekend. Hopefully the extra force might work. Does it make a difference if mine is a March 2001 model?

P.s. Does anyone know when the next meet is? I have been unable to attend any so far and could not find any on the meet forum.

Dude,

You trying the front or rear panel?? The front is not at all difficult... Unscre the screw as each end of the top of the door card, and then pop out the door handle insert, and the 3 screws in there, then lift the card off...

If its the back i think u just pull it off the side of the car!

Rich

Ps - if u need a hand i dont mind popping round/you popping over. just round the corner!

The rear panels need to be pulled towards you as they are secured with metal spring clips. Toiu should be able to feel where the clips are by how much give you get in the panel. Remember to prise up the window rubber, to free the panel up. When retro fitting your new speakers be very careful about the spacer rings needed. I bought the Auto leads version and these are sh*t. They are worse than useless, leaving a big gap all the way round the speaker, goodbye bass. See my thread in the ICE section on how to make your own. Good Luck

[ QUOTE ]
phill said:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the pictures, they do help. However I have just tried to get the rear panel off. Unfortunatly I am not pop-eye and I am applying a lot of force pushing the panel up, but the blighter refuses to budge. Is it just a case of pulling up on the panel? Silly question i know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif. If it is then I think I will get me and a mate to try at the weekend. Hopefully the extra force might work. Does it make a difference if mine is a March 2001 model?

P.s. Does anyone know when the next meet is? I have been unable to attend any so far and could not find any on the meet forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phill i have now done mine (Rob_A3) and the rear panel comes off pretty easilly if you remove the seat bench first (tilt up and spring the hinge pins in by hand) and then pull toward you at the bulge for the wheel arch. Didn't need a lot of effort really when tackled this way.

Thanks for the advice Lewy. Job done in well under an hour and the new pioneers sound great. Took a print out from their website and got same price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cheers Guys,

RichA3Turbo is going to give me a hand. I am pretty sure I was being dumb, cause I was doing almost everything other than pulling it towards myself.

Once again Thank for the help guys.

Phill

Need to change my speakers too. Good to see those photos, now i can try and do it myself with a little more confidence. But one thing, i havn't bought my speakers yet. Could someone tell me what size the speakers are in the rear and front panels.

Thanks

On my '03 S3 Non-Bose the fronts turned out to only be 4" rather than the 5.25".