Knocking sound from rear

monkeytrousers

Reaction score
Hi,

Driving to work this morning, I occasionally heard a knocking sound from the rear of the car, particularly when accelerating.

It sounded just like there was something in the boot, which was moving around, but there wasn't. I've checked the spare wheel and tools are secure and they are OK.

So what might the knocking have been? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

This could be one of the common faults with the S3...

It could either be a rear lower shock absorber bush worn with excessive play or more likely the bushes in the small arm that comes off this up to the anti-roll bar.

On a ramp or even just jacked up you will be able get hold of this small arm and feel the play in it...

The noise transmits itself through the body and as you say sounds just like something in the spare wheel well...

If you ring Awesome GTi they will confirm this is a common occurence on the 4-motion based cars...

Thanks for the replies. I tightened up the spare wheel and made double sure everything in the rear of the car was secure and last night the noise had gone. But I guess it might come back having read your other thread.

Have you had any joy yet? Mine has now come back with a vengence since i had my tyres and mot done....

It seems to be that whenever it's lifted off the floor to do any work, the rear suspension doesn't settle down. So when you then accelerate theres clunk or a dong noise from the rear wheelarch.

I'm gonna investigate, my moneys either on drop links or as stewart says a shock bush.

interested to hear if you've cured yours...

Had a good look with the wheel off.

Theres no obvious damage to any bushes or mounts - they don't look new, but they dont look broken either.

The rubber spring platforms are both there, and not worn through, or missing.

The springs are also both there ;) but also have all their coils intact.

Which just leaves me with the shocks. The most scientific test i can do here is to stand on the sill of the car and jump up and down.... Yes they creak, but ot doesn't make a dong'ing noise on the wheelarch...

Given the fact that this is where the noise sounds like where its coming from, and the fact that the shocks are the only thing physically mounted to this area of the car - i guess it must be the shocks?

The only thing that puzzles me is that it passed it's MOT yesterday...

I get a knocking noise from the rear of my car, I had a good look and found that it was coming from the compartment in the left habd side of the boot where the sub enclosure is. There is something in front of the sub which knocks around - all sorted now - could be ?

had a look in there, and the only thing is the alarm module, and thats in a thick sponge like case.

I’ve had the same knock for about the last 12 months, but there doesn’t seem to be any pattern as to when it happens, its been looked at by Audi twice and also when I had the MOT done, the tester even invited me under the car to look for myself but neither of us could see anything, all I could think of is that one of the bushes is slipping and making the clunking noise.

Got the same issue, have had a look when I got the tyres changed, looking thorugh all the springs were fine however the rubber insert around it wasn't, is this an easy fix to change? Or would it be worth changing them to something different?

I started this thread and had forgotten all about it! The problem never came back after that episode ... weird.

monkeytrousers said:
I started this thread and had forgotten all about it! The problem never came back after that episode ... weird.

yep. One day it knocked about 20 times on the way home. After jacking the car up and taking off the wheels, checking bushes, jumping up and down, shouting at it.....

it hasn't done it since.

this really is a qualttro/4motion gremlin alright.

Rear axle bushes would make a knocking noise as this is direct chassis bolt point also sometimes hard to see if there worn or not..

Mine makes aslight noise and these and rear drops just been pickes up at my friends garage Today with some slight wear..

Last edited: