S3 Bose stereo

nwhiteley

Reaction score
Some time this week i will be picking up a 2002 51 plate Audi S3. It will be my first Audi and i am very much looking forward to picking it up.
Anyway, whilst i was deciding on buying the car, i was having a play with the stereo. All the speakers have Bose embossed on the grills, but it only had a tape deck. I searched the car from top to bottom looking for a cd changer, but couldnt find it. I thewrefore think that the previous owner removed it before they p/x it, So...

1. did the S3 , with the Bose system, come as standard with a cd changer?

2. where was the cd changer installed?

3. Is it possible to fit this.... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 or this.... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1, with out modification, ie are they plug n play?

Seems odd that someone would tick the option for speaker upgrade then stick to listening to tapes....

Did you look on top of the sub in the back?

BOSE is purely a speaker upgrade the CD changer was an additional option.

It was situated above the sub on the right hand side of the boot in that cubby hole.

[ QUOTE ]
BOSE is purely a speaker upgrade the CD changer was an additional option.

It was situated above the sub on the right hand side of the boot in that cubby hole.

[/ QUOTE ]

are they definately on the right?

my golf 4mo had it on the left, so i concentrated my efforts there

Oops, when I said right I meant left /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The BOSE sub will have two speakers and the std sub a single larger speaker.
The S3 should have a sub with or without BOSE, just look behind the left hand panel in the boot

Bose will have a twin plastic subwoofer on the left side of the car, and an amplifier on the right hand side, CD player was an optional extra, and sits above the subwoofer.

Hi,
As to the bose unit can anyone show a picture of the differences? not sure whats in mine ,it does say bose when the radio is turned on.
Merdock

"3. Is it possible to fit this.... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 or this.... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1, with out modification, ie are they plug n play?"

No & No. You need a seperate 6 disc changer which sits on top of the sub.
The key thing is to check whether the car is prewired for a changer, so while your in the boot checking out the sub have a look right at the back of the cubbyhole (towards the front of the car) and se if you can spot a round black DIN type connector clipped to the bodywork passed the rear seat belt reel.
If it's there then it is just plug & play, otherwise you need the changer cable and run it front to back.
Those 2 units would need a new Centre console surround as they are double DIN size (the second in dash player needs a HU to drive it).
You need this:
Audi changer
Making sure you get the one with 13 pin plug/socket, they usually go for around £100.

[ QUOTE ]
"3. Is it possible to fit this.... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1 or this.... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1, with out modification, ie are they plug n play?"

No & No. You need a seperate 6 disc changer which sits on top of the sub.
The key thing is to check whether the car is prewired for a changer, so while your in the boot checking out the sub have a look right at the back of the cubbyhole (towards the front of the car) and se if you can spot a round black DIN type connector clipped to the bodywork passed the rear seat belt reel.
If it's there then it is just plug & play, otherwise you need the changer cable and run it front to back.
Those 2 units would need a new Centre console surround as they are double DIN size (the second in dash player needs a HU to drive it).
You need this:
Audi changer
Making sure you get the one with 13 pin plug/socket, they usually go for around £100.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks andymac, most helpful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

My gf's A2 sport came with Bose with only a tape player. I had to put an aftermarket changer on it.
Seems strange that one would get the speaker upgrade without opting for CD. Though it may be that the previous owner might have used an Ipod link like dension.

after having a good look around, i dont think that my car came with a cd changer. the only wiring in the left hand boot compartment is im pretty sure is for the sub (also not there). i have ordrered a sub, but can anyone tell me, what is the black rectangular box, with one side in white and two small tubes come out of it, is? it seems to sit below where the sub shound mount.

Neil

Sub not there? with or without Bose, it should have a sub, the standard sub has one speaker and a little amp which powers the rear speakers, the Bose sub has 2speakers with built in amp, and a seperate amp on the otherside of the car to power the speakers.

hi jojo. some of the later posts from this thread seem to have been losted.

so.. you mentioned the bose upgrade pack from Andymac, what does that involve? and how muchdoes it cost?

Andymac bose upgrade is basically a custom made sub enclosure running a JL 6" subwoofer, and it requires a seperate amp, which is hidden behing the passenger side panel, to operate it. There's more info on this in the ICE forum, if you do a search. Price is around £300 for the parts and you can fit it yourself in hald a day.

Ive heard this before from another s3 owner, bose system upgrade but no subs!! and no changer!!

Is your S3 a facelift? If so it will have the newer dash mount panels and so you could fit the single DIN dash mounted CD player - symphony i think its called, rather than having a supplement changer in the boot. Or fit the Double din in dash 6 disc changer/ tapedeck - symphony II.

I woulnd't be to bothered about the factory bose sub etc most aftermarket stuff is way better.

nervus said:
Is your S3 a facelift? If so it will have the newer dash mount panels and so you could fit the single DIN dash mounted CD player - symphony i think its called, rather than having a supplement changer in the boot. Or fit the Double din in dash 6 disc changer/ tapedeck - symphony II.

I woulnd't be to bothered about the factory bose sub etc most aftermarket stuff is way better.

its a 2002 S3, so i think it is a face lift model. i will post a pic in the morning

my stereo. which buttons will control a cd changer? i have now located both the sub and cd changer wires.

P1000199.jpg

There's a mode button on the bottom right of the stereo, which changes it to CD function, then you use 1-6 buttons to select disk and FF/FR and </> buttons to skip and scan tracks.

jojo said:
There's a mode button on the bottom right of the stereo, which changes it to CD function, then you use 1-6 buttons to select disk and FF/FR and </> buttons to skip and scan tracks.

thank you. i still havnt recieved that sub, as soon as i do, and because i dont expect it to work i will PM you.

Neil

I have a audi 6 disk cd changer I am not using if you are interested that came wth my S3 from new.
Never used it however as it had an after market head unit when I got it second hand.
I have not and cannot test if though as it won't hook up to the head unit.

No problem.
It is still installed in my car and that is currently being fixed at AMD anyway so I wouldn't be able to get at it for a week or so.

Did you get yout sub from andy mac,

Has anybody else had a sub from andy mac and if so is it much better than the standard one

solihul said:

Has anybody else had a sub from andy mac and if so is it much better than the standard one

No, he got an original Bose sub unit for me, I have the Andmac sub fitted though, sounds a lot better bass wise, like twice as bassy and loud than the Bose unit, with the standard headunit and 'bass' setting at -4, and best of all, it doesn't take up any boot space! It does however, run out of range for some types of music, like R&B style music with it's long and low bass lines, it doesn't cope very well...

solihul said:

as JoJo has said above. i was going to get the Andymac sub, but im not into the kind of music that requires thumping bass all of the time. so JoJo kindly sold me his standard sub, and its made a big difference for me