V Interesting Stats...Power to weight Ratios...!!!

DreA3Turbo

DreA3Turbo
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
If you hadnt noticed my post in the newbies section then hello all!!

Now, I may have got this totally wrong, but I have been trying to figure out how to calculate power to weight ratios. I have come up with the following :

Power (Bhp) / Weight (kg) * 1000 (weight conversion) = Poweer to weight ratio.

If this is the case......look at the following stats...

Std 1.8T fwd.......................150/1175*1000 = 128Bhp per ton
S3 210.............................210/1375*1000 = 153bhp per ton
S3 225.............................225/1420*1000 = 158BHp per ton
Golf R32...........................241/1476*1000 = 163Bhp per ton
Seat Leon Cupra R (222)............222/1322*1000 = 167Bhp per ton
Focus RS...........................212/1254*1000 = 169Bhp per ton
APR 1.0 bar A31.8T.................205/1175*1000 = 174Bhp per ton

Hmmmm......On my calculator that could be a serious whipping!!! Explains why the S3's arent getting away from me!! Now thats what I call value for money.....

Any comments...??

PS, just in case you wondered what my ride is like, i included a picture....

Hey u thiefed my car!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

The spitting image of mine (from the back anyway)

You missed a chipped S3: 270/1.375 = 196 bhp per ton. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Another Comparison, my wifes Clio Cup, 172BHP, 1021Kg gives a Power to Weight ratio of 168.5, or put another way more than the S3,R32,Seat Cupra and level pegging the Ford RS.

In otherwords a right little pocket Rocket. I'll let you know how it fares against the S3 in due course once I get it run in!

regards

[ QUOTE ]
DreA3Turbo said:
They are pretty similar arenet they rich!!

However, if they were parked up next to each other, you will notice a few key differences....and thats just the back!!

I saw your car at GTi International (parked up next to the blue s3 on 18's) and at that point they were 100% identical. I know u have had quite a few more mods since then, and so have I. The most tricky 4 me was probably the colour coded plastic strips down the side of the car (they flex and are likely to crack when sprayed). Plus all of the lower black panels of the car (front & rear bumpers, side skirts) have been sprayed silver.

Rich, when you done ur 1/4 mile at GTi international, what was ur launch technique? (i.e.3000rpm and let the clutch out)

Veracocha........U got me there.....Doh!! I accidentally on purpose forgot to mention a chipped S3....im hoping i dont come across too many of those before getting my next power hyke!! That really is impressive though isnt it 196bhp per ton!!!

Anybody taken on the mighty Focus RS yet or a Leon Cupra R? Would love to know the stories considering the ratios above!!

Dre.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well mine has now changed too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Got color coded rear bumper, and a new RS style front bumper... just need to do the sills now!

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
[ QUOTE ]
DreA3Turbo said:

Rich, when you done ur 1/4 mile at GTi international, what was ur launch technique? (i.e.3000rpm and let the clutch out)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong person to ask there!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

I think Rich will agree you'd be looking at around 4500-5000, 3k is just too low, but it does depend on track conditions as Rich found out especially between Santa Pod and GTI-I.

All this talk of Bhp per ton does not amount to much unless you know how to drive your car and depends on road conditions. For instance a certain chipped S3 on acceleration at certain speeds is no quicker than my chipped A3, this is down to torque figures not being so far apart I believe, but also top speed is not significantly greater. It all comes down to the driver in my opinion, to say the least I can beat an Bad/OK driven chipped S3 in my chipped A3T, and **** all over an Bad/OK driven S3....in the dry only, in the wet I'd be sliding all over the place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well i learnt my lesson now and i got a wikid time at santa pod on the 3rd.. 15.4 which i know u are now saying "well thats not that good" but considering that it was 32oC at the time i was impressed. Got a 2.2 0-60ft time which was fantastic and not a single bit of wheelspin/bogdown... i reckon next time i reckon high 14's with a start like that in cool weather is possible.

With regard to the RPM on the start, t really does depwends on the track and the conditions. 3k is far too much tiorque and the wheels spin, and 2000 is too low... At SP i gave it about 2500rpm and slipped the clutch and got a perfect start... At GTI the track was very grippy so i over compensated and just spun out (and bogged dowen on my first run cos i didnt give it enoughrevs... all in all not too successful)

Rich

A straight power/ weight is not strictly representative either. Figuring torque into the equation explains why my chipped A3 would easily pull away from a Clio 172 (with greater power/weight, but less torque/weight)...

[ QUOTE ]
Veracocha said:
I am afraid that on the whole you are mistaken Gambba if you think a chipped A3T will be virtually as fast as a chipped S3. Both cars running well and being driven well would see the S3 pull ahead in any situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not mistaken, this is based on racing/driving with S3's, I did not say it was virtually as fast I said driving wise I can beat an OK driven chipped S3, a well driven chipped S3 I have no chance, and against a well driven standard S3 I think it would be close, with the straights being mine, but loosing out in the corners.....and all of the above is in the dry, and I wouldn't even consider racing an S3 in the wey!!!

So my statement is quite correct as proved with Jaybee in Germany when we were toying around...please read what I put again.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

Don't get me wrong at the top end a chipped S3 does have the edge, but not by a great deal, on the way into Germany Jaybee thought he would never get rid of me (Slipstream!!) but on the way back he pulled away gradually.

So as I said this is based on experience, and I have raced against OK driven S3's as well and given them a good seeing too....but always in the dry.

Rich, I saw your times, I think 15.4 is respectable enough and I would dearly love to see you doing sub 15's, because I think you deserve it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif I'll get my **** in gear soon and do another 1/4 mile soon. At GTI-I 4-5k was enough on the line to give me a good start, because once I dropped the clutch the bog down was great enough to sink the Rpm below 3500, so somewhere below peak torque. When I say dropped the clutch, well I recall I did ride it a bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif, but it worked well enough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Could use American Ton at 907.185Kg and get even better power to weight figures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif