Monster MotorsportEM Tuning

Thread: Are S3's Slow??

thinking about stuff

Status

Are S3\'s Slow??

Picked up my 2001 S3 on monday. Its been Revo'd but seems slow in a straight line. The acceration in gear is awesome and its a real overtaking weapon but expected more off the line from 265+ bhp. I'm using my corrado VR6 at a yardstick with circ 210bhp

2. # ADS
    ADS

imported_monkeytrousers

Re: Are S3\'s Slow??

A chipped S3 should do 0-60 in 6 seconds. Turbo lag might account for what you're feeling? If so, try launching at higher revs.

Status

Also it will feel slower than the VR6 as it won't be fighting for grip and scrabbling all over the road. My wifes 1.8TS feels faster than my 2.8Q but it's a second slower. The Quattro system just handles hard acceleration with so little fuss it feels like it's holding back, when in fact it's giving you the perfect take off.

5th Gear

Status

My mate has a chipped vr6 golf and a standard s3 is quicker at santa pod.

imported_gek

[ QUOTE ]
    My mate has a chipped vr6 golf and a standard s3 is quicker at santa pod.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can easily believe that. The vr6 with chip alone won't even touch 200bhp.
    I had my vr6 chipped at AMD and it only added about 10bhp [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

6th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    I had my vr6 chipped at AMD and it only added about 10bhp [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Given that a corrado vr6 is 190BHP, a chip should take it just over the 200 HP mark. Also, the VR6 is renowned for being a tight engine, and well run in stock examples have proved to be over the 190BHP.

I'd also say that the power at the wheels of the corrado would be pretty similar to that of a standard S3.

However, you really cant compare the two. The corrado has an arse of a job to get the power down, and the car will always lurch severely when launching it.

The S3 launch lurch is nowhere near as noticable, and the haldex does such a nice job of splitting the drive to the rear axle on launches.

also taking into account the fact that the corrado has a much lower seating position, lower stance, less soundproofing and such loooooooooong gears, it makes it feel much faster.

6th Gear

Status

Yes but it depends on which car you are comparing it with as some are mentioning the corrado and some the golf. If we are talking about the Golf VR6 which being the 2.8 version (Corrado was 2.9) it only has 174bhp as standard so only a chip will still not take it anywhere near 200bhp!

imported_gek

I was talking about the Golf Madvw.

I know what you mean about being tight though, my Golf managed 187 on the rollers before the chip.

It's the only car I've ever owned where my wife actually cried when we traded it for the S3!

thinking about stuff

Status

its not so much from a stand still that my S3 is slower than my VR generally 0-100 through the gears. In gear times, the S3 leaves the VR for dead, no question.

They are completely different cars to drive. Maybe thats the problem, each one highlights the other weaknesses.

I'm coming to the conclusion that in a straight through the gears thrash a big capacity engine (even with less peak power) is much better as your in the power band (4500+rpm) with the small turbo engine you need to keep it at 2-4.5k rpm making an A to B quick car. Probably get better results from the S3 by changing up earlier. S3 also lacks the VR noise which probably adds to slow feel of the car.

1st Gear

Status

I also own a Revo'd S3 and a Corrado VR6 and agree with madvw's explanation there. The Corrado is much more raw and that fantasic exhaust note just makes it better.

On some stretches of road with sweeping bends and a good surface I reckon the VR6 would give the S3 a good run for it's money, it has a more flexible engine that lets you stay in gear and roll on/roll off the throttle where you'll be changing up and down in the S3.

You'd still get to where you were going quicker in the S3 though [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif[/img]

5th Gear

Status

You have to stay on boost! You cant floor the S3 at 50mph in 6th and expect it to do anything. Is this is what your trying to describe?

3rd Gear

Status

It sounds like a standard Turbo V's NA question.

See the 993 thread for loads of chat on this subject!

On another note, why do you need to be quick off the line? With 4WD the clutch won't last long with loads of 0-60 launches. I found in general driving there isn't too much that's quicker than a chipped S3.

1st Gear

Status

I had a 275 bhp corrado, god it was quick but also dangerous on the limit.
    Torque steer was a joke [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Status

Was that a chipped G60?

1st Gear

Status

No it was a vr6 with a Z engineering Rev 2 Supercharger, exhaust etc.

I span it once badly and sold it after that. Miss the noise and the pace.

TQS
    1st Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]

I'm coming to the conclusion that in a straight through the gears thrash a big capacity engine (even with less peak power) is much better as your in the power band (4500+rpm) with the small turbo engine you need to keep it at 2-4.5k rpm making an A to B quick car.

[/ QUOTE ]

My power output peaks at 5,500 rpm

Youre Dethpicable!!

Status

Mine's a standard BAM S3, and I got me azz kicked by a Corsa on the "MOTORWAY" the other day coming back from Birmingham (and got my azz kicked by an S3), the Corsa must of had something mental all I could hear doing 80mph was his turbo Thpooooooling up and he was gone, soon enough so was the S3 (and I was pushing it) which is why I'm thinking of a big turbo upgrade, although I have heard that chipped S3s are quite fast

thinking about stuff

Status

took the S3 to dubsport today for a service and once over. Happy to report the car is much quicker now. The previous owner had fitted a dump valve which was being seen as a boost leak which was switching the car in safe mode. Its was removed and the vacuum pipe was re-routed back to standard and the car was transformed. Its definately faster than the corrado now. Just got to make it handle as well as the VR6 now.

Youre Dethpicable!!

Status

VR6 handles better than the S3? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif[/img]

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    VR6 handles better than the S3? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You've not driven a Corrado VR6 then?
    One of the finest FWD cars ever, to drive...

But, once you get used to how to drive a standard S3, i'd not put money on which would get from A to B faster...but in general terms, a Corrado VR6 handles better than an S3...by miles.

thinking about stuff

Status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, corrado handles alot better. As an owner of both i can give an unbiased comparison. The Corrado has a 200kg weight advantage, lower c of g and was developed as a sports car from day one. The S3 is a quick hatchback and drives like one.

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    The Corrado has a 200kg weight advantage, lower c of g and was developed as a sports car from day one. The S3 is a quick hatchback and drives like one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steady!
    The Corrado is only a Passat / Mk2 Golf hybrid chassis with Mk3 golf suspension...hardly a sports car!

It's no more developed than an S3 over any other A4 platformed car...like a Mk4 Golf or A3.

The corrado only handles better than a Golf VR6 by virtue of it's higher weight at the rear belancing its heavy assed engine, and it's added negative camber over the Golf!!

Still a development of a hatchback...just like an S3. Certainly not a sportscar. That's an insult to properly developed sportscars.

Not that that makes it any less good to drive...but it's no thoroughbred sportscar.

Youre Dethpicable!!

Status

Ohhh ok you guys are taking about a Corrado, I thought it was a golf VR6, do they differ from the corrado in handling? (p.s. never driven a VR6)

1st Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    The Corrado has a 200kg weight advantage, lower c of g and was developed as a sports car from day one. The S3 is a quick hatchback and drives like one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Steady!
    The Corrado is only a Passat / Mk2 Golf hybrid chassis with Mk3 golf suspension...hardly a sports car!

It's no more developed than an S3 over any other A4 platformed car...like a Mk4 Golf or A3.

The corrado only handles better than a Golf VR6 by virtue of it's higher weight at the rear belancing its heavy assed engine, and it's added negative camber over the Golf!!

Still a development of a hatchback...just like an S3. Certainly not a sportscar. That's an insult to properly developed sportscars.

Not that that makes it any less good to drive...but it's no thoroughbred sportscar.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Corrado certainly lower more sporty stance, I look over the top of mine and see at least the top 6 inches of the S3, it's still only derived from the Passat/Golf though, gets me down a bit when the dealer searches Passat parts if they can't find stock when quoting Corrado numbers!

I'd only say mine handles better when the roads are well surfaced (that's about three miles in Derbyshire?) but that might just be as we lowered it so far on the coilovers, one holed sump, one smashed cat and 10 mph over every speed bump low.

If only VW had replaced it eleven years ago rather than simply discontinuing it???

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Ohhh ok you guys are taking about a Corrado, I thought it was a golf VR6, do they differ from the corrado in handling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they sure do...by quite a lot as standard.

6th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    If only VW had replaced it eleven years ago rather than simply discontinuing it???

[/ QUOTE ]

VW have plans to replace it. Theres talk (and sketchy concept pictures) of a mk2 corrado in the next few years. Lets hope they dont have the same designer as the new TT on the case.

Personally, unless karmann are involved again, I can see it being a huge disappointment [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

as for parts being shared with the passat - I used to breath a sigh of relief when I needed such a part - it meant that it was only a tenth of the price of a corrado only part...

1st Gear

Status

But then there's been rumours of the Corrado 2 since they stopped making the last one. Mine was made in the last couple of weeks of manufacture and it's dated 18 May 1995 on the label inside the boot. You'd have thought that was almost enough time for the mighty VW machine to get a new model off the drawing board [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Status

Bring back the Scirocco

1st Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Bring back the Scirocco

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't the Corrado just the Scirocco Mk2? What will they call the Scirocco Mk3?

Status

As they're all named after winds maybe the VW "Blustery"?

imported_bubstar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Bring back the Scirocco

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't the Corrado just the Scirocco Mk2?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you mean Mk 3?

Or am I showing my age? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

BUB [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

6th Gear

Status

nope, there were indeed 2 models of scirocco, and yes you are [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Reverse Gear

Status

not wishing to start a 'mines better than yours' argument (mostly because I dont have the VR anymore!) but I've out accelerated an S3, up a slight incline, in a stock corrado vr6. Rolling start at about 40mph, evens til about 80mph then I very very gradually pulled ahead. I've no doubt they're quick cars and alot of it could be down to the driver of the s3 not keeping it on boost. Must admit I was suprised he didnt fly past me. I reckon the corrado will have an aerodynamic advantage at higher speeds, and as everybody knows, when the spoiler goes up you get an extra 25bhp at least [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]