Paying car tax late?

cha1n

Reaction score
Hi there, just a quickie, i completely forgot i had to tax my car by the 31st of this month until someone mentioned something about tax in work dinner time. I never stressed too much because i thought you could tax it online now, however i got home and went to tax it and found out you need the new style mot certificate and mines the old style so i wont be able to tax it until tomorrow. Am i likely to be fined for paying it a day late? cheers

Ross

I think you have 4 weeks after the 31st to tax your vehicle, I've done it before, not had any problems.
With regards to the new style MOT, it's all computerised with the new large certificate, which enables you to buy online.

Less than a month and you get charged for the whole month anyway so it's not like you're trying to weasel out of paying. The ads say even a few days late and you'll get fined but I think they're just scaremongering.
It amazes me that they're letting MOT stations still issue the old certificates, as I don't think these get uploaded, so as far as the DVLA are concerned you don't have an MOT.
Having said that everywhere I go recently seems to have stopped using chip & PIN and are back with the old siggy.