S3 Exhaust Manifold - Uprated Options?

funkymofo

Reaction score

After reading through several tuning threads about the S3, the general opinion seemed to be that the exhaust system was not restrictive, but the exhaust manifold was.

So to me this begged the question, is there an alternative "uprated" version available with the standard K04 fitment? If so what sort of gains are to be expected and where can I get one from? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks, Rik.

haha yeah I found that too, but on reading the small print:

NOT compatible with Quattro cars such at 225TT, 225HP Audi S3 and Cupra

Still, if these are the sort of prices I could expect then I am pleasantly surprised. Doesnt seem like you can get much thats worthwhile doing for under £500, and if this prevents the manifold cracking then it is probably worth it without even bringing power increases into the equation.

Indeed... you may want to e-mail them though... as I understand it they are in the process of developing a manifold for the Quattro cars etc. They're very helpful... Worth a try .. ?

waaaaay ahead of you on that one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
mail sent.

Cheers for the help though, I'll keep you posted on their reply.

what about "dahlbackracing"?? I've heard they've got reall good manifolds, but not sure if its for the stock turbo etc.. does anyone know if the manifold below fits onto the standard kit?

797.jpg

Yeah, Dahlback are THE guys, they also had a special offer for £800 for the exhaust manifold last month, so i did a print screen to use as leverage when i phone them for mine.

I heard the ATP ones should be ready by about August. And they'll be a lot cheaper than the Dahlback manifold - £350-400.

They better be, the Eliminator kit's depending on it....

Yeah dahlback do know their stuff, but im not prepared to part with sort of cash for a manifold.

And Chris, please be quiet before you tempt me into one of those elimantor kits aswell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Got a reply from them yesterday.
They basically said that they were developing one but they could not confirm a completion date.

[ QUOTE ]
Got a reply from them yesterday.
They basically said that they were developing one but they could not confirm a completion date.

[/ QUOTE ]

They said me the same thing 4 months ago when i asked those manifolds.

nope, are you thinking of changing the inlet manifold?
I dont see the standard being a restriction unless you are going for crazy power (400bhp +). Bet its not cheap either.

Dahlback does next to nothing on mine! I would go for one of these new eliminators from atp,not too big a turbo,like a .64 gt28rs.

Just been looking at atp, and I can see the gt28rs turbos are much bigger than the K04 turbo. Does this mean I'll have to change much of the internals of the engine? or just inlet manifold and dp etc..? and I couldn't figure out what eliminator kits do? is that the same as gettin a gt28rs?

small gt28rs ,injectors should be ok,4 bar fpr ,internals are fine,stock inlet manifold is fine.Go for a decent free-flowing exhaust and possibly dp if you want, de-cat/sports cat ,should see 300bhp+
Get MRC to map it for you.

So there's a small and large gt28rs turbo? I'm guessing the large requires internal to be changed? ok 4 bar fpr won't be a problem(Would MOFO be ok as well), sport-cat and dp are hopefully on the way, so realisticly what would be the small gt28rs's limit? I mean with a few more internals changed e.g. inlet manifold, FMIC and maybe pistons etc... 400bhp with boost control?

310-320bhp small gt28rs
330-340bhp large gt28rs

injectors would need to be changed for larger turbo.
Rods would be wise with bigger turbos
A gt3071r would be good for 400bhp but would need internal work,decent exhaust manifold and a step up in capacity for response.

About £600 ,i reckon a larger gt28rs if they do a eliminator in this size may see 330ish but i don't know how much of a restriction the standard exhaust manifold may become.Intercoolers also become a restriction at 330ish.Probably will be a bit laggy and you will need injectors.
Rods are up to you,it's borderline.
You will never get 370 from a rs ,you'd need to go to a gt2871r but there even more laggy.

boost control is with the standard n75 using the ecu.MRC will sort this.
small gt28rs 310-320
large " " 325-340 (will need injectors)

OK, just looked at some older threads to see what the N75 was, I'm guessing maybe with a more aggressive N75 I might be able to boost it up a bit more?. I've got a Star pefromance FMIC lying about, this is the one that goes in conjunction with the existing driver side sdmic, what bhp would you say this is good for? I'm just curious, roughly how much would labour cost be to fit a new turbo?

p.s. What are eliminator kits? haven't been able to understand that one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Eliminator kits are basically Garrett GT turbos with a flange mount that's the same as the OEM mounts. This means you 'eliminate' the need for changing the downpipe, exhaust manifold, changing the pipework in your engine, or creating new mounting points.

ATP Eliminator info

I've seen a Seat LCR hit 290bhp with a GT2X kit, so I wouldn't be too surprised if their quotes for the other kits are in the right BHP region.

The star performance intercooler becomes restrictive past 320bhp.It will flow no more than 330bhp.
A n75 is a n75 ,use the one that is meant for the car.
Yep a eliminator is what you will need to keep costs down.

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen a Seat LCR hit 290bhp with a GT2X kit, so I wouldn't be too surprised if their quotes for the other kits are in the right BHP region.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, but it didn't have the standard manifold, downpipe, hoses, intercoolers, etc. so the 'eleminator' idea wasn't in full effect /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ok I kinda get it now. So is there an eliminator kit for the larger gt28rs? or should I just call and check? when you say the FMIC would become restictive would this mean an upgrade to a larger FMIC? Just one more question, would the clucth and any other part of the car be able to handle the power? I know you'll need bigger breaks at the power band, but would I have to change the clutch/ flywheel etc...??

I'd got for the 2871R... But it would be a bit more laggy. Depends what you want.

Rich

when you guys mention laggy, how laggy would it be? my counsin's Evo8 is pretty laggy (kicks in around 3000-3800rpms) but it's fine to drive when turbo is up a spining. Where would you say the 2871R would kick in from? Would I have to fit bigger inlets and exhaust etc..if I go for the 2871R over the GT28RS? or do they require the same goods? hey Rich, how are you running 320 hp? what's IHI-VF34? and ACE112?

Gt2871R is very laggy especially on a 1.8 and it won't achieve 400bhp.Full Boost guesstimate ,full boost , 4.5-5k.
Standard valves sizes are fine but upgraded items are recommended.
ihi vf34 is the turbo
ace112 are alloys.
Yes a single Intercooler with a good core above 330bhp.
I killed my standard clutch with 345lb/t but it did have 40k on and was a very hard standing start.

If you want my honest opinion then ,i'd go for a small gt28x(gt28rs .64) eliminator kit,decent exhaust and downpipe,4 bar fpr.Perhaps intercooler,thats up to you,get mrc to map it.
Should see a solid 320bhp,320lb/t for mininal cost.