S3 Exhaust Manifold - Uprated Options?

Got another question guys. Would I need the ATP 3" Inlet pipe upgrade? (I want it) but does it fit on 4wd? and how can the air filter be so low down and so close to the turbo? and I can seem to see all those pipes as on the original inlet pipe.

install_1.jpg

install_2.jpg

install_3.jpg

Obviously the inlet to the turbo is bigger so you will need a different inlet pipe.Should come with the kit.

The ATP 3" Inlet pipe is for the FWD kits. If you read the info on their site, it tells you all about it.

Def, have you got your car remapped yet? Might be the best place to start before going for a bigger turbo...

evo 8 turbo compressor wheel is about the same size gt28rs or ihi vf34 but it has a bit bigger exhaust housing.

yes alot of thought has gone into my turbo choice.
Just so you know the ihi vf34 i have on my car is off a subaru sti v7 ra(race altered) but it has the exhaust housing off a vf22( sti 2 ra).

so Ryanc, would you say you'd consider gettin an eliminator kit if it was out over the hybrid? (less work?). and Chris no I haven' mapped my car yet, but this turbo upgrade is for the future as I'm looking at keeping the car for several more years (I hope), so I'd rather do one map than two

No i don't have a hybrid,i have a full turbo kit ,proper manifold,downpipe etc.Eliminator is a kit for a cheap upgrade.
I can bolt a bigger mitsubishi/ihi turbo to my existing manifold.

can you get supercharger kits for the 1.8 turbo engine ?

Matt

For me the eliminator is a good cheap upgrade for those that don't want the expensive of exhaust manifolds and downpipe and also runs within the scope of the standard intercoolers and internals .Thats why i'd go for the smaller gt28rs for a steady 320bhp.
For anything more you'd need manifold,downpipe,perhaps internals.

Ryan, the question that keeps popping into my head is you and a good few others have now gone to the trouble of having totally custom manifolds made (I assume) for your S3s but surely the places that made these custom manifolds could duplicate their work easyily enough which would solve the biggest problem that I can see for a turbo change on an S3 as a custom exhaust and downpipe arn't in the same league of expense I wouldn't have thought. I'm not sure you'd want to answer but how much was your manifold?

Defratos- turbo is as i stated above,
dyno'd at 360bhp.

My Manifold is cast and is hi-nickel content made in a foundary,it's £500 or £550 with a ceramic coating it is made for ihi/mitsubishi turbos on a 1.8t.

Erm....

[ QUOTE ]
yes alot of thought has gone into my turbo choice.
Just so you know the ihi vf34 i have on my car is off a subaru sti v7 ra(race altered) but it has the exhaust housing off a vf22( sti 2 ra).

[/ QUOTE ]

You can mate.It will be more expensive ,around 5k+ with exhaust and sports cat.
You will need a better intercooler to get over 335bhp.

LOL Defratos,

You remind me of the kid next door with the constant questions - genuine enthusiasm! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

No harm intended! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Forge Custom made.
Although there kit for the s3 is well up too the task.

lol, I agree Nervus, sometimes I feel bad asking more questions but I think no harm done (seems this lot is willing to put up with me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif) all the better.

Ryanc I do agree the Forge does seem more solidly built than the star performance one, I could always get a water mist thingy on the front? seems to help the Evo a bit.

Well i've had the star performance intercooler and it is restrictive so you will need a better one for more than 320bhp.
I run water injection 50/50 mix with methanol and these seems to help knock timing back a bit and keeps things fairly cool.

Not a big fan of the water sprayers.

[ QUOTE ]
Well i've had the star performance intercooler and it is restrictive so you will need a better one for more than 320bhp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had my Forge intercooler fitted at Star Performance, don't think they bother with their own anymore.

The star performance one had a forge core but running intercoolers in series is never a good idea. I found my custom forge one excellent.

Jim at Star seem to say the same thing. He liked the idea of not cutting into the bumber bar, but thought the Forge kit would be better at it's job.

My laptop's knackered and I haven't managed to get the VAG-COM cable of Imola_S3 (gimme a call Grant) yet so I've not logged intake temps. Seems to work well...

Intake temps are mega low on mine,i've logged plenty of runs.