The old chestnut of which Tyres ....

noodle

Reaction score
I know this is a very commonly posted topic, so appologies, but I've not been keeping up with recent news and developments in the Tyre world, and the time has now come that I need 4 new ones for my S3.

I previously had Avon ZZ3's which I found to be okay, and the supposed road noise, not a problem, but fancy a change..

I really need to make a decision before the W/end, so any views would be very much appreciated.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

All the best
N

If you look in the handling forum there is a large thread about tyres, however after just having 3 new F1s fitted two weeks ago I can't find a better all round tyre, I was driving down the M40 in the really bad rain on sunday and my car felt very planted the whole way even when hitting standing water that and grip in the dry is also superb.

That and you can get 4 for about 350 maybe less if getting 4 at once.

Gotta say that these Yokohama Parada Spec II's are ****** great!

Not 'too' bad in the wet either but excellent in the dry, lovely looking tyre as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'd get Prada Spec 2's if it wasn't for me hearing they arn't that great in the wet which would ruin some of the most enjoyable driving I have in my S3.

[/ QUOTE ]

A little of topic, but i've heard a lot of people talking about driving their s3's in the wet and how good they are. This is not the experience's I've had as mine tends to powerside in bends, if being pushed in the wet which is very un-nerving. I guess it's more down to me than the car, having never had a 4wd before..

The F1's are still looking favorite and I can get 4 for £470.00 fully fitted. What do you think??

by powerslide do u mean sliding while still being able to accelerate? cause that's the whole point of slidin in the rain, when it slides you can still accelerate and take the corner right? with the back slightly swingin out with the body

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think I'd get Prada Spec 2's if it wasn't for me hearing they arn't that great in the wet which would ruin some of the most enjoyable driving I have in my S3.

[/ QUOTE ]

A little of topic, but i've heard a lot of people talking about driving their s3's in the wet and how good they are. This is not the experience's I've had as mine tends to powerside in bends, if being pushed in the wet which is very un-nerving. I guess it's more down to me than the car, having never had a 4wd before..

The F1's are still looking favorite and I can get 4 for £470.00 fully fitted. What do you think??

[/ QUOTE ]

What size? I paid that for 18" just from my local tyre bloke.

I think you really need to be pushing the car hard (even in the wet) for it to be sliding around, how much tread do you have on your tyres? I had the same tyres and had a similiar problem with the car being "twitchy". To the point I thought there was something wrong with the suspension (was doing it mainly on bumpier roads), but was all fixed with new tyres. Had no idea the tread was low enough for it to be an issue.

I've found over the last few days one of the great things about the S3 and my new tyres (they are 225/45/17 and at the high load pressure setting as I had 4 peole in the car over the weekend with luggage) Is when there is standing water on roundabouts and 2nd gear and heavy foot is used you can have some SERIOUS fun drifting around corners - I find there is just too much grip in the dry on these new tyres so less fun. I wouldn't recommend doing this if you're not confident about what you're doing though especially if there are things to drive into.

I think my fear has come from when the car was only about 6 months old. I entered a roundabout a little quick, purposefully, thinking the 4wd keep me out of trouble. The car started to slide forwards and left but by the time i could do anything about it I'd crashed into the kerb, bounced across the road, missing a central island, and ploughed across a development site, leaving the car balancing across a very large kerb. Since then, any sign of a slide and presume it's happening again! I know the S3 is a very capable car, but I don't feel comfortable pusing it in the wet. I'd like to get on a skid pan, but can't find one locally.

In terms of price and size, I've got 18's on the car. I think if i push the price I might get them down to around £440.00, which is what I paid for the ZZ3's.

Just remember the 4WD will only do anything when you are using the power, so lifting off mid corner is a very very bad idea! Big roundabouts on industrial estates are normally the best place to practice safely in my opinion.

I'd recommend Parada Spec 2's as well. As good, or better, in the wet as my old Potenza S03's. In the dry, they're brilliant - progressive break-away at the limit too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Just remember the 4WD will only do anything when you are using the power, so lifting off mid corner is a very very bad idea! Big roundabouts on industrial estates are normally the best place to practice safely in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I think herein lies the problem. I'd imagine I did lift off, trying to corrent the slide, resulting in the pin-ball effect.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Well noodle, as long as you brake at the same time (assuming traction control is off - mine doesn't have it) that you lift off the EBD will try and force the car back into pointing forwards again so it shouldn't be too bad, but like you say you need somewhere safe to get to know what happens.

If it wasn't for a karting champ called heinrik shouting at me when to steer the "wrong" way and not to lift off in a caterham I'd still have no hope but it becomes second nature after your brain accepts it.

I've been converted! I was a Toyo fan, but i think Parada Spec-2's take it!

I haven't had much experience on drifting/ sliding, but the few occasions that I've had I've loved, just need to find a really big abandond rounadbout for a nice 360 drift? (maybe when I have my own pot of land) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

i find the S is aweful in the wet with the esp on, i always switch this off if i want to push it in the wet.

Just got a set of Toyo CF1s fitted all round the S3. Thought I would try something a little different. Not as agressive in pattern or tread like most tyres I have gone for so should be interesting. Admittedly with the cost of the new shoes I thought I would look at a set lasting for a bit longer than normal! Will keep you posted

I decided on the Yokohama's after seeing their fantastic tread pattern. (and the reviews here - thanks chaps!)

I got all 4 fitted for £425.00, which I didn't think was bad, as looking on the interweb (mytyres.co.uk) I found them for about £119.00 each + fitting.

When I called my local Selecta Tyre branch (who I'd used before and was happy) and asked if they could match the price, they came back with £425 !! Result! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks again for your input.
Rgds
N /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

old chestnuts make really bad tyres, Infact they would probably fail an mot

If anyone needs some cheap Eagle F1's give me a bell Iv'e got 4 225/45/17's with between 6-7mm on all of them.

£280 all in....bargain!!

I had the standard michelins on before I changed to P-Zero's. the michelins are alot better IMO (17")