Traction Control Light coming on intermittently...

I

imported_Stewart

As subject...

Sometimes it doesnt go off after starting, mostly it comes on randomly while driving normally and doesnt go off until the engine is restarted...

Anyone any ideas?

I have this problem very very occasionally, but have never come to a conclusion as to why, but it does not really happen enough to warrant checking it out. Does it have any affect on performance when it comes on?

Not that I can notice, mind you, the 19's have upset the handling too much to be able to notice...
Its happening a lot more since the 19's went on...

Soon as i get my MTM reps back from being refurbed i'll be selling the 19's...

Hi Stewart,
had the exact same problem a few months back. Randomly comes on and off, sometimes stays off when you restart the engine, sometimes not. Anyway, it turned out to be the lateral acceleration sensor. Had it replaced and no problem since. Not sure about cost, but nothing mad. Haven't got the bill yet, but I think its working out somewhere in the region of £100 sterling, give or take, but don't quote me! Good news was that it wasn't the longitudinal acceleration sensor, which is £400 for the part alone or something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif like that. As far as I know Vagcom should pick it up anyway. Bear in mind that the ABS isn't working when the TCS light is on (as far as I know).
Hope this helps,
Marc

Thanks for that Marc!

Does anyone have a part number for this?

Is this the one behind the glove box?

Before you go buying any parts I would put vag com on and check fault codes

could it not just be a fault with a sensor somewhere making it not wanting to work? I know its a completely different car but i used to borrow my dads company pug 307 and the traction light was always coming on because it just didnt want to work!!! typical french crap though!

Hi,
just remembered now that I had already been on to Martyn at Vagparts when I had the problem. Didn't end up getting it off him i the end, but very helpful guy.
Now, heres where it gets a bit confusing. I was told that there were 2 possibilities for this part. One is an acceleration AND yaw sensor combo, part No: 1J2907637B, but I didn't get a price on that. The acceleration sensor on its own is 1J2907639, and Martyn had quoted me around £60 ex VAT for that. IIRC some of the older A3s had them seperately (yaw & acceleration), and the newer ones had the combo unit, but again I'm not 100%. Like S3ilver says, probably better off checking with Vag-com first before ordering anything. I'm sure the guys at Vagparts would know the exact part you (may) need anyway, depending on exact model and year of your car. Hope you get it sorted anyway, it was wrecking my head for a while! (P.S forgot to say, I think it is behind the glove box, or possibly even in behind/under the steering wheel)

Marc