How do i Reprogramme my Key fob??

H17E5H

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and have a quick question i hope some of you tech's can answer.

I have a 1998 A3 to which i would like to add another central locking key fob to. I currently have the two button key fob which locks/unlocks the door but i have been given a key fob from a friend who used to own a 2002 TT 3.2 V6 Quattro. The key fob he has given me is the three button fob with the boot unlock plus the unlock/lock buttons. I've checked the part numbers and other numbers that are on the three button fob to my own two button fob and they are very similar:

Info:

My Two Button Fob:
4D0 837 231 R
A3/B5
433,92MHz
16/03
CLBT/C/335/2002

Three Button Fob (TT):
4D0 837 231 K
A6/TT
433,92MHz
45/03
CLBT/C/335/2002

As you can see the numbers are very similar but is there any way i can programme the Three button Fob to my car? I currently have two normal keys and one key with fob so three keys in total, I've read that i can only have a maxium of 4 keys programmed to my car, is this true?

I would appreciate your help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I have never read anywhere that you can use a 3 button fob for a two button fob system. But If this is possible i would also like to learn how as i am after a spare fob and always see 3 button ones on ebay but never 2 buttons for some reason.

Aaron