Do I need a Genuine Audi Windscreen for my S3?

noodle

Reaction score
Folks,
I noticed today that I've got a huge crack on my windscreen (god only knows how I didn't notice earlier!)and wondered if I need a genuine replacement or just take it to Autoglass or similiar??
Any ideas??
All the best
N

I've had my screen replaced twice now by RAC Autowindscreens, the fit has been fine both times, but the second screen seems to have scratched easily. If I was to get it done again I think I would try and get a genuine screen.
If you have fully comp insurance you are probably covered for the windscreen, but you will have to pay an excess which will probably be £50 - £60. You will probably have to use their approved company or they will only pay for some of it. It also doesn't affect your NCB if you claim either.

HTH

From memory, I'm sure you need to make sure you get an S3 screen rather than an A3 one as the tint is a different colour? I'm sure people have complained in the past that by default AutoWindscreens try to fit an A3 one as it is the one they are more likely to have in stock.

[ QUOTE ]
IIRC, S3 should have a green tint, and A3's should have grey tint.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was the other way around?

I just had one from Autoglass, they gave me 3 choices - grey tint, green tint or no tint. I wasn't sure of my colour as I was away from the car, so he said let me check what others have had for S3s on the computer, he said something like 85 went grey and about 20 went green - so I went with the majority with grey and when I checked my car it did indeed have a grey tint (on the original factory screen), so it was grey for me.

Dunc

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
IIRC, S3 should have a green tint, and A3's should have grey tint.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was the other way around?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you are correct, I had a grey A3 item fitted to mine when it cracked, not so noticeable on a black car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif - silly me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif