Anyone running 8" wide wheels?

HTC

Reaction score
Website
www.b3ta.com
I wanna get some new wheels for me car.
I'm looking at buying a set of wheels from a friend but they are 8" wide. Is this likely to be a problem? I haven't been able to confirm the offset as of yet, but I'm thinking they will be ET41.

I'm up for purchasing spacers if required as they are simply awesome looking wheels.

Also if anyone has pics of 8" wide wheels on an A3 that would also help.

Taaaaaaaaaa.

I thought the 18" RSTT/RS4 wheels were 8" wide with a an ET32 offset. Wouldn't that mean they're 'sucked in' by 9mm, so you'd need 10mm spacers just to get them out to where the should be normally?

Im pretty sure that 8" and et 41 would rub on the inside and even if they dont they would look rubbish without spacers.

not to sure how 8" ET41's with 10mm spacers will work with standard A3 rear arches.

what are your current rims/spacers, and how do they look? you should be able to do some rough calculations by just looking and measuring.

My guess is that it would be very close.

Thanks for the info. Currently running standard 16" A3 comps at the mo. They are 6.5" et42 and really sit inside the arch so loads of room to move out.

Been doing a bit more digging, me buddy seems to remember a number of 20 or 22 for the offset, which changes things.

I'm going to try and get round his place tonight to see for sure.

So if I can get wheels of the correct offset I can run 8" wide?

Time to get off my butt with the measuring tape!

[ QUOTE ]
not to sure how 8" ET41's with 10mm spacers will work with standard A3 rear arches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Plenty of room in the rear arches of A3/S3's, they can accomodate 255 section tyres with the correct offset. ET41 + 10mm spacers will bring the offset to ET31, should have no clearance problems with say 225/40 tyres. My S3 is running 19 x 8 wheels with 235/35 tyres and 5mm spacers at the rear, still have 10mm to ge before it will hit the arches - I know thw S3 is wider, but it probably only gives an extra 5mm clearance over an A3. stick with 225 section tyres and 10mm spacers for the fronts, any wider, and the tyre will hit the inside of the inner arches on full lock if your car is lowered, standard height, no problems at all.

HTH

FYI, I'm running with 18 x 8.5" ET 30 wheels, with 225x40 tyres, 10mm spacers (to clear the brakes), lowered by 35mm, and no clearance issues.

Im running 8.5x18" ET35 wih 225/40's and they are just about right. ET 30 on the A3 would be a little too far out and could possibly rub, so 10mm spacers MAY be a little much. 16mm track should do it though.

Rich

Thanks. I wouldn't be able to run 8.5" on mine with that offset as the inner side of the tyre would rub on the platforms of my coilovers.

Just had confirmation of the offset of the wheels I'm interested in. They are ET20 which means they will stick out 41mm more than my standard rims. I have to get PCD adapters to run them which will increase that number to 56mm with 15mm adapters or 61mm with 20mm adapters.

Either way that'll push them out further than the wheel arch. I might be able to get away with them with stretched tyres, which brings me onto my next question.

I've been told that its legal to have the wheels sitting slightly proud of the arch as long as the tread of the tyre is within the arch. Anyone know if this is true or a myth?

yep im pretty sure that aslong as the tread is inside the arch you are ok! That was the case on my old polo and i had no problems, and with my bro his tread even sticks out a little and hes been pulled and had no problems!

[ QUOTE ]
What wheels? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't find an exact pic of them online. They are very similar to these but with a slightly different shaped lip. I've done a couple of photochops.

What do you guys think. Do they suit my car?

carbeach69bbssplits01resized0i.jpg

carbeach69bbssplits02resized7z.jpg

nice rims, nice dish. Not too sure about the black centres though.

Also not too sure how they'd look if they stuck out too far either.

I actually prefer the black centres.

Anyways, its a no go. Just been round to me mates house and trial fitted the wheels etc.

There is no way these things would be legal. They just stick out too far.

******!

Back to the drawing board. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Very nice.

Another set of wheels I've been considering recently /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Are they BMW 17" BBS RM's?

Just a 'mare to keep clean and in good condition.

To be honest I don't know the name of them so they could be. Deffo 17" and BBS from an old BMW.

I see what you mean about cleaning, but I recon they are worth it.

Anyways can't fit them now due to the width. I could swap the barrels for thinner ones but I don't really want to get involved with all that. Shame tho as I could have got them for a nice price.

There is another type of split rim from a newer 328 which are 7.5" wide, but I'm not so keen on those.

Oh well.

I couldnt honestly say on the offset front as they are et60 with adapters.

Rears stick out but not a great deal and never scrub even 4 up with the install.

Syscar016.jpg

moors3.jpg

brakesafter.jpg

when i have them refurbed i may take the fronts out to 9.5. The fronts dont stick out at all and dont scrub. One thing that was highlighted with the coilovers was the bent inner part of the rim catching the damper body (had it sorted and no probs now) The platform would catch if i went any lower than in that last pic but it was near undrivable so i raised it a little.

Oh I see, thats Jimbo's old motor. I've always liked those wheels.

Darn, I think I might have made a few miscalculations on my measurements. I used an online wheel offset calculator. Maybe I wasn't using it correctly?

Hmmmm.