Interval Servicing or Long Life?

jedwa115

Reaction score
Just bought S3 on long life servicing schedule. Done 66k miles, due service in 6k, but going to jump the gun on that out of curiousity to know the car is all pukka. Planning to use Jabbasport in Peterbro'.

Have been advised to switch to 10k intervals by jabbasport. Respect their knowledge on the subject but wandered if anyone else has views / experience on this?

Cheers, Jon

Many people, particularly those with remaps, revert to fixed intervals.

Personally, I've stayed on the AVS schedule and make sure the oil doesn't get too black in between.

i think they both ave their cons. When i bought mine it had just had a variable service which has lasted me 10K miles. i don't drive it hard and i average 35-36mpg. am i right in saying that fixed service uses a thicker oil? this is good if doing short journeys whereas variable is more for the motorway user i guess...

Dave

I know this is slightly different, my S3 is due its 3rd service on AVS. It has now done 54k. I was quoted (Croydon Audi) about £300 not including brake fluid or Haldex oil.

I understand that the Haldex should be done every 20k miles. I bought the car 8 months ago on 48k miles from a Main Dealer, Croydon Audi. The last haldex change was done at 23k. Should the dealer not have changed this before selling it on?

Sorry for going off thread a little. Just interested to hear your thoughts.

macdoug said:
I know this is slightly different, my S3 is due its 3rd service on AVS. It has now done 54k. I was quoted (Croydon Audi) about £300 not including brake fluid or Haldex oil.

I understand that the Haldex should be done every 20k miles. I bought the car 8 months ago on 48k miles from a Main Dealer, Croydon Audi. The last haldex change was done at 23k. Should the dealer not have changed this before selling it on?

Sorry for going off thread a little. Just interested to hear your thoughts.

Your haldex oil should have been done at 20K and 40K according to the service schedule. The 40k includes the filter. If it was sold to you with a Full Audi Service History then I would say it wasn't really "full" if they haven't followed their own rules. Not sure where you stand on this though, particularly as it was 8 months ago. I'd definitely take it up with them.

Mine gets serviced every year, approx every 10,000 miles, and I change the oil every 5,000 miles, using fully synthetic Synta Gold or equivalent.

jcs356 said:
Mine gets serviced every year, approx every 10,000 miles, and I change the oil every 5,000 miles, using fully synthetic Synta Gold or equivalent.

Same here, oil change every 5K. We spend so much money on these cars why not treat them to new oil regularly - it's a negligible cost compared to what we spend on the cars and mods.

monkeytrousers said:
Your haldex oil should have been done at 20K and 40K according to the service schedule. The 40k includes the filter. If it was sold to you with a Full Audi Service History then I would say it wasn't really "full" if they haven't followed their own rules. Not sure where you stand on this though, particularly as it was 8 months ago. I'd definitely take it up with them.

second that. avs is only good for the avs scheduled checks.

there's still fixed interval for haldex, brake fluid and haldex filters.

Just had a word with the sales & service staff. The car is booked in for new xenon headlight sensor this friday so they are "going to look into it" (whatever that means) then.

Do any of you know if Audi keep the service records on a database? I would have thought they need to. If they do and there is no record of it there I don't see how they argue.

macdoug said:
Just had a word with the sales & service staff. The car is booked in for new xenon headlight sensor this friday so they are "going to look into it" (whatever that means) then.

Do any of you know if Audi keep the service records on a database? I would have thought they need to. If they do and there is no record of it there I don't see how they argue.

They certainly do. They use a piece of software called "dialog" and it contains your entire cars history - providing that the dealer can be ***** to enter it. All VAG dealers use this software, with a central database.

Should be pretty clear cut if your cars not been serviced.

madvw said:
They certainly do. They use a piece of software called "dialog" and it contains your entire cars history - providing that the dealer can be ***** to enter it. All VAG dealers use this software, with a central database.

Should be pretty clear cut if your cars not been serviced.

Excellent, thanks.

I'll let you know what happens with it on Friday.

My local dealer advised that they couldn't see every detail about my car as it hadn't been regularly serviced by them.
Unfortunate really as they were the supplying dealer!!

col6821 said:
My local dealer advised that they couldn't see every detail about my car as it hadn't been regularly serviced by them.
Unfortunate really as they were the supplying dealer!!

I took in on Friday and they told me the same thing. They reckon they only know what was done at their dealership.

However, after pushing the point a little they agreed to carry out the Haldex service f/o/c.

I did notice on collecting the car that they didn't fill in the service book showing the work. They just gave me the reciept showing the work was carried out.

Using dialogue is a nice idea to keep the computerised history, but it can be a nightmare as it relies upon someone typing the registration in correctly. I had my service history stolen so went to get a duplicate - and found no trace on Dialogue. It was only after contacting the previous owner and getting him to search for any correspondence he still had from the supplying dealer that we found that they'd entered the reg wrong.

Only 7 letters/numbers - can't be that difficult - can it?