Volks AutosSky Insurance
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    95

    Interval Servicing or Long Life?

    Just bought S3 on long life servicing schedule. Done 66k miles, due service in 6k, but going to jump the gun on that out of curiousity to know the car is all pukka. Planning to use Jabbasport in Peterbro'.

    Have been advised to switch to 10k intervals by jabbasport. Respect their knowledge on the subject but wandered if anyone else has views / experience on this?

    Cheers, Jon

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    imported_monkeytrousers
    Guest

    Re: Interval Servicing or Long Life?

    Many people, particularly those with remaps, revert to fixed intervals.

    Personally, I've stayed on the AVS schedule and make sure the oil doesn't get too black in between.

  4. #3
    dgannon69's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Worcester, England
    Posts
    465

    Re: Interval Servicing or Long Life?

    i think they both ave their cons. When i bought mine it had just had a variable service which has lasted me 10K miles. i don't drive it hard and i average 35-36mpg. am i right in saying that fixed service uses a thicker oil? this is good if doing short journeys whereas variable is more for the motorway user i guess...

    Dave

  5. #4
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh - Southside
    Posts
    52
    I know this is slightly different, my S3 is due its 3rd service on AVS. It has now done 54k. I was quoted (Croydon Audi) about 300 not including brake fluid or Haldex oil.

    I understand that the Haldex should be done every 20k miles. I bought the car 8 months ago on 48k miles from a Main Dealer, Croydon Audi. The last haldex change was done at 23k. Should the dealer not have changed this before selling it on?

    Sorry for going off thread a little. Just interested to hear your thoughts.

  6. #5
    MattS3's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    North Norfolk
    Posts
    531
    I've kept mine on AVS but change the oil every 6k.
    2011 S3 Sportback S-tronic Black Edition - Revo stage 1
    2006 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport - For track days and sunny days.
    2003 S4 V8 Saloon Manual Milltek Cat Back - Sold

  7. #6
    monkeytrousers's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by macdoug
    I know this is slightly different, my S3 is due its 3rd service on AVS. It has now done 54k. I was quoted (Croydon Audi) about 300 not including brake fluid or Haldex oil.

    I understand that the Haldex should be done every 20k miles. I bought the car 8 months ago on 48k miles from a Main Dealer, Croydon Audi. The last haldex change was done at 23k. Should the dealer not have changed this before selling it on?

    Sorry for going off thread a little. Just interested to hear your thoughts.
    Your haldex oil should have been done at 20K and 40K according to the service schedule. The 40k includes the filter. If it was sold to you with a Full Audi Service History then I would say it wasn't really "full" if they haven't followed their own rules. Not sure where you stand on this though, particularly as it was 8 months ago. I'd definitely take it up with them.
    Last edited by monkeytrousers; 7th July 2006 at 20:02.
    Audi A4 3.0 TDI Quattro 2008 - Ice Silver

    JUST GONE: BMW 330i M Sport Saloon 2006 - Le Mans Blue

    GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN: Audi S3 Quattro 2002 - AMD stage 1 - 261BHP - MTM clutch - Brilliant Black

  8. #7
    jcs356's Avatar
    Brum brum

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Englandland
    Posts
    2,681
    Mine gets serviced every year, approx every 10,000 miles, and I change the oil every 5,000 miles, using fully synthetic Synta Gold or equivalent.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

    1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

  9. #8
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    526
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs356
    Mine gets serviced every year, approx every 10,000 miles, and I change the oil every 5,000 miles, using fully synthetic Synta Gold or equivalent.
    Same here, oil change every 5K. We spend so much money on these cars why not treat them to new oil regularly - it's a negligible cost compared to what we spend on the cars and mods.

  10. #9
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,488
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeytrousers
    Your haldex oil should have been done at 20K and 40K according to the service schedule. The 40k includes the filter. If it was sold to you with a Full Audi Service History then I would say it wasn't really "full" if they haven't followed their own rules. Not sure where you stand on this though, particularly as it was 8 months ago. I'd definitely take it up with them.
    second that. avs is only good for the avs scheduled checks.

    there's still fixed interval for haldex, brake fluid and haldex filters.


  11. #10
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh - Southside
    Posts
    52
    Just had a word with the sales & service staff. The car is booked in for new xenon headlight sensor this friday so they are "going to look into it" (whatever that means) then.

    Do any of you know if Audi keep the service records on a database? I would have thought they need to. If they do and there is no record of it there I don't see how they argue.

  12. #11
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,488
    Quote Originally Posted by macdoug
    Just had a word with the sales & service staff. The car is booked in for new xenon headlight sensor this friday so they are "going to look into it" (whatever that means) then.

    Do any of you know if Audi keep the service records on a database? I would have thought they need to. If they do and there is no record of it there I don't see how they argue.
    They certainly do. They use a piece of software called "dialog" and it contains your entire cars history - providing that the dealer can be arsed to enter it. All VAG dealers use this software, with a central database.

    Should be pretty clear cut if your cars not been serviced.


  13. #12
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh - Southside
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by madvw
    They certainly do. They use a piece of software called "dialog" and it contains your entire cars history - providing that the dealer can be arsed to enter it. All VAG dealers use this software, with a central database.

    Should be pretty clear cut if your cars not been serviced.
    Excellent, thanks.

    I'll let you know what happens with it on Friday.

  14. #13
    neil.c's Avatar
    Senior

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    leicestershire
    Posts
    564
    Except they never seem to be able to find our car on the system
    99 S3 Absolute red

  15. #14
    col6821's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Warwickshire
    Posts
    175
    My local dealer advised that they couldn't see every detail about my car as it hadn't been regularly serviced by them.
    Unfortunate really as they were the supplying dealer!!

  16. #15
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh - Southside
    Posts
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by col6821
    My local dealer advised that they couldn't see every detail about my car as it hadn't been regularly serviced by them.
    Unfortunate really as they were the supplying dealer!!
    I took in on Friday and they told me the same thing. They reckon they only know what was done at their dealership.

    However, after pushing the point a little they agreed to carry out the Haldex service f/o/c.

    I did notice on collecting the car that they didn't fill in the service book showing the work. They just gave me the reciept showing the work was carried out.

  17. #16
    jcs356's Avatar
    Brum brum

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Englandland
    Posts
    2,681
    Using dialogue is a nice idea to keep the computerised history, but it can be a nightmare as it relies upon someone typing the registration in correctly. I had my service history stolen so went to get a duplicate - and found no trace on Dialogue. It was only after contacting the previous owner and getting him to search for any correspondence he still had from the supplying dealer that we found that they'd entered the reg wrong.

    Only 7 letters/numbers - can't be that difficult - can it?
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

    1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO