N75 for 1.8T Quattro

Rob W8

Reaction score
Website
www.w8performance.co.uk
I have a surging / boost problem with my 1.8T Quattro.
When flooring it at about 3k it comes on and off bost up to about 5.5k.

Have taken it to Jabbasport and they spotted a split hose that was giving a high reading on the air intake. We thoight this was the problem and I replaced the part with one ordered from the dealers.

The problem is still there....

QST replaced the Turbo control solenoid about 25k ago when my car was with them as it lost all boost apparently. This is the N75 isnt it?

Basically I am going to Jabba for a remap at the end of June and want to make sure I have got the problem sorted or at least narrowed down so I dont make the Journey up there for nothing as they wont remap it until the running issue is sorted.

I have searched and read the old threads about N75J's and H's and I get the jist of it.

Basically what is the bog standard part I need to get to replace mine with?

Engine code ARY 2001 A3 1.8T Quattro

Have been on vagparts and there are a few listed, what one do I need. A part no. would be excellent.

Are they difficult to fit or is it just a case of old one off and jubilee clips replacing on the new one?

Thanks in advance, sorry for the long post!

Rob

Shorter version.....

Just been out and checked my car.

QST replaced with part no 034906283J - This I take it is the J type. Am I going to be ok to replace it with this again if I am getting the car mapped in a month?

Vagparts show part no. 058906283F - Is this the correct standard one for my car?

Cheers for the flood of replies!

p.s. Would the plane take off it had a J valve fitted.

[ QUOTE ]

Cheers for the flood of replies!

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

As I'm the 11th viewer I though I'd put a post up for you.

HTH

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Oh and do a search - plenty of info on the dreaded 'N75'..................

I'm sure VAG Parts know what they're doing or you could just call your local dealer for a new valve.

BUB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Cheers BUB,

I have searched and my problem is do I risk fitting a J valve again or do I just put the standard one on?

QST fitted the J without asking me what type I wanted.

Cheers

Rob

If you are getting it chipped then I don't see any problem fitting the J type again.

Any reputable tuner will allow for the J valve anyway and the extra requested boost it demands when they remap your car.

If you are worried tell them you have a J valve and then at least your mind will be settled

If you leave the 'J' valve on, it will make no difference to the car once remapped, as the map will remove and difference in the valve. I'd go back to the standard valve if the j valve is causing probs! if not, stick with it...won't make any difference!

Cheers Rich. I didnt know anything about the 'J' valve until tonight when I looked under the bonnet to get the part no. QST fitted it themselves. I am not really bothered about running it, just want the car to be ready for the remap!

Thanks again

Rob

[ QUOTE ]
If you leave the 'J' valve on, it will make no difference to the car once remapped, as the map will remove and difference in the valve. I'd go back to the standard valve if the j valve is causing probs! if not, stick with it...won't make any difference!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup...that's the answer...standard N75 for the remap...then play if you want / need to.

Just to add about surging, mine seems to surge whatever N75 I use. The initial boost spike (especially low revs high load situations) tends to send the system into an oscillation.

Anyways, I love the way the "H" valve feels and I've got round the whole overboost/surging issue but fitting a manual boost controller in parallel to the N75.

This way the ECU still uses the original electronic control but I can set the maximum peak boost. At the moment I have it set to 18psi max. This stops any overboost spike and has completely eliminated the surging oscillations.