Failed MOT with a Xenon headlight alignment issue

chief_b

Reaction score
Hi all,

I could really do with your help with a question regarding headlight alignment on my 2002 S3 (225bhp).

The garage doing the MOT has phoned me to say that the passenger side headlight is not aligned correctly (slightly too high and to the left), and that they cannot adjust this as the manual adjuster appears broken.

Now - I've read through lots of posts on here before about faulty Xenon alignment motors and the auto-levelling capability, but not much about manual adjustment.

And so my question is - do the Xenon lights even have this type of manual adjuster?

And if so, under what circumstances could this be broken? I've had the car from new, it's been garaged and never been in any scrapes/shunts etc. I'm wondering if one of their mechanics has been a bit heavy handed and broken it - but of course it's very difficult to prove!

I really don't fancy shelling out the money for a whole new light - so any advice on what I can do if it is broken would be much appreciated.

The motor should do the automatic up/down adjustment, but i think the left/right is a manual thing. If it's too high then your motor could be duff.

I had my lights adjusted for Europe, and when I got back, one of the motors was gone. York Audi did the manual realignment and replaced the motor for free (yes, an Audi UK stealer gave me a freebie)

Thanks ChriS3, any idea where I can find the manual adjustment for left/right?

Presumably on the top of the light somewhere - what does it look like, or is it the same adjustment as switching it for the Europe setting?

Cheers