R32 Brakes

j4jon

Reaction score
Does any one know if the R32 front brakes will fit on an A3?
Also will they fit behind 17's or are 18's the minimum?

Thanks

Jon

I also have them on my S3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Not 100% sure whether they will fit behind 17's, i think they will...

Im fitting R32 rotor with Porsche GT3 caliper and there is much room with my 18" rim. Only problem is that gt3 caliper is very wide so i need to use spacers.

Here´s a pic.

Stewart:
Did you notice any negative difference in driveability when you put those R32 brakes? I just noticed that those rotors weight a ton compared to S3 original rotor. So unspring weight is increased a lot.

@ Triple A , I've tried that one already. My 18" s'lines caught the lugs poking out from the caliper (where the spokes radius in toward the centre) even when using 12mm spacers. I reckon you would need to use 16mm spacers on the front. But then you have to be careful if the wheels are 8.5" wide, they may catch the arches on a lowered car.
Have you tried them with spacers ?

Chris.

So did you drive your car with that brake setup?

I havent got spacers yet but my friend has 15mm spacers and im trying those before im buying anything. I measured it and i think that 15mm is enough...i hope!

Those GT3´s are much more wider calipers that i ever would expect. Big reds (993tt calipers) are much more narrow. I hope that this doesnt ruin my brake project, because i´ve already sold my Brembos and payed lot of money for those calipers, pads, pad attach parts, hoses, bolts and caliper carriers.

Didn't drive it with them mate. Didn't get to that stage. As you say, the end tanks on the GT3 calipers are bigger than 993tt ones. My 18s caught on the part of the caliper that sticks out most, where the pins are.

I originally thought the would fit because they are the ones that Movit use on their 342 kit for the S3 and TT. But looking at theirs they use their own rotors mounted on hats. This means they can mount the disc as far in as possible and then mount the caliper to suit. The problem with the R32 discs is that although the right size, the offset is further away from the bottom ball joint. Hence , when mounted, the caliper sticks out further and gives you less clearance to the wheel. Exactly what you don't want with the GT3 calipers. You may just be ok with 15 or 16mm spacers but I'm sure my wheels still just caught with 16mm spacers. They were 8.5 wide though. What wheels are you using ?

Sorry to put a bit of a dampener on things ! Persvere though. I've seen Porsche brakes on an S3 at GTi International and I swear the wheels were just touching the calipers.

I've still got the R32 discs here if you want them. They are drilled and machined away to suit the smaller porsche pad.

Good luck. Nice to see someone doing it.

Chris.

My wheels are 18x8.5 BBS CH´s.

[ QUOTE ]
I've still got the R32 discs here if you want them. They are drilled and machined away to suit the smaller porsche pad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks mate, but i already have those. So have you machined those disks smaller? What diameter are those now?

I get caliper carriers machined maybe this week so then i have all the parts to mount those brakes. Then i´ll see if there is enough clearance with 15mm spacer and is there any possibility to get those brakes assembled.

I think the wheel design might have something to do with it too. I have the ECS Big Red kit which should be fine without spacers, but I need to use them to clear my 8.5" CH's

No, not made the discs smaller , but you'll notice from the picture you posted that the pad doesn't reach the inner part of the disc. So I machined it out to within about 2mm of the pad. Only about 3mm.

Chris, it is to do with the wheels. The 993tt calipers ( or big reds as they are known ) fit beneath std 17" avus, but need spacers with 18" rstts.
As triple said though, the GT3 calipers are a lot bigger. Of course, they are fittable if you mount the disc far enough in, which you can't do with the R32 discs.

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
No, not made the discs smaller , but you'll notice from the picture you posted that the pad doesn't reach the inner part of the disc. So I machined it out to within about 2mm of the pad. Only about 3mm.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the reason that you machined it? Is there some gains with it? Except minimal weigth loss...

I´ve also thinked machining it but i thougt that it would just weaken disks and in my opinion there is no reason with it. My previous brembo brake setup was similar than this, so brake pads didn´t reach the inner part of the disk and those worked fine. Only negative thing was that there was rust in inner part of the rotor and it didn´t look good.

Please correct me if im wrong.

Thats the reason. Looks better. As if it were made that way. I've seen some that have like 10mm of unswept area on the inner diameter.

Chris.

Today I tried first with 10mm spacers and wheels scratches a little bit with calipers. Then i tried with 15mm spacer and then there is about 4mm space between caliper and wheel spokes. Thank god it fit!

Now i have all necessary parts for fitting those brakes except wheel spacers and longer wheel bolts, because those that i tried were my mates.

Your wheels must be different to mine then. What are the part numbers of you calipers ?

Chris.

I have those brakes now fitted. I followed S3bow route and machined those rotors so those fit better with these calipers. I also painted those rotor middle parts..

Brake performance is improved a lot compared to those brembo´s that i use to have. I havent took those to track yet so can´t say much about how those can handle heat, but would presume that those are much better that original S3 disks...

Here are few pics. On those pics calipers are wrong way but i´ve now corrected those. Caliper should be mounted so that the smaller piston end of the caliper is closest to the rotor entrance, and the larger piston end toward the rotor exit and on those pics those are the other way round. That is because on GT3 calipers are on the different side of the rotor than in S3 and i needed to put left caliper on right and right on left.

click

Excelllent mate. I had the 18" RSTTs at the time and there was no way they were going to clear with 12mm spacers. Looks like your wheels have a bit more clearance. Mine caught where you have chipped the paint off the calipers.

Chris.

When you say you had to swap the calipers around, are the bleed nipples still at the top?
As they need to be at the top so that when you bleed the brakes you get rid of all the trapped air.

You can remove the bridges on the Porsche callipers and swap them end to end...so you'll be able to get the bleed nipples at the top, and the bridge at the bottom, regardless of how they are mounted on the donor car.