Caught Speeding - What are my options ?

darko

Reaction score
was caught in december last year with a laser gun doing 89 in a 50 (dual carriageway) I have only just received the summons and both my name and date of birth are wrong - what are my options or likely penalty ?

Sent the letter back saying that they must have the wrong person because my name is Donny Darko and your date of birth is not what's stated on the NIP/summons.

or

You could take it like a man and accept your fate!

I thought they had to contact you within two weeks of the offence?

what will my fate be though ? will i have to wear a yellow jacket and plant flowers at the local round about or do hard time with a bunch of axe murderers ?

Did you get stopped at the time? If not I'd say there way to late to summon you, I'd have a look about on the internet about them having your details incorrect - might be an easy way out!

That'll be a nasty fine I would have thought for going so much faster than the speed limit, 6 or 9 points too I'd have thought, you'd be lucky to get away with the normal 3 points and £60.

yes, did get stopped at the time and was told off by the policeman and waited and waited for the summons to arrive but nothing. so, just as i thought it was over the summons arrived this morning.. balls. the road itself is a 3 lane dual carriageway and was at an open section but the limit is 50. im hoping that the incorrect details may help

Inaccurate NIPs - The "Slip Rule"

There is a "slip rule" that allows the court to modify small errors (such as name/address of the keeper) due to typographical mistakes. Serious errors cannot be modified, and will invalidate the NIP.

If the registration number is incorrect then the Defendant need only complete the Section 172 Notice attached to the NIP, stating that they are not in fact the registered keeper of the vehicle whose registration number is shown on the Notice.

If you were stopped at the time then 2 week window becomes a 6 month window, so they were only just within it.
89 in a 50 will require a court appearance and at least 6 points, fine will be dependent on income/outgoings etc, but will be around £300 at least.
I doubt there's any mileage in the incorrect data as you were stopped & cautioned at the time so they know who you are.
£300 for a laser jammer doesn't seem too expensive when you weigh it up. My wife got done on a laser gun doing 56 in a 30 (dual carriageway), so we immediately invested in a second jammer. She got 6 points and £400 fine.

@ AndyMac

I presume you have a "garage door opener". Have you found it effective?

I got caught 105 in a national speed limit, 6 points and a nominal fine.

I've now got a road angel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

yep after some investigation it seems like the incorrect details do not matter and yes they had 6 months to issue the summons so i will probably have to go to court and take what they give me. if only i had a laser jammer fitted !

i was caught doing 76 in a 40 on a dual carriageway at 2:00am in the morning. I got a 2 week ban and £150 fine. It took 3 months or so for them to summons me.

what is the story if you get a ban - does that mean no points ?

No, you'll still get points when you get your license back and it's usually a good few...over 6.

i had 3 points before i was banned, but they were classed as spent when i got the license back.

maybe points already in place before a ban are deleted but if you are banned then you will receive points for the same offence once the ban is over ?

im going to have a chat with these guys:

http://www.prycewoodrow.co.uk/

[ QUOTE ]
the 14 day rule only applies to gatso etc

[/ QUOTE ]

only if you're driving you own car, if its a hire car or some elses car then they have an open time frame /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

If you get an immediate ban due to the speed you were going (I've had it twice at similar speeds), then your licence will come back with the ban showing, but the same points as you were on before.

In fact, PM me an e-mail address Darko and I'll let you have a file of speeding rules and loopholes if you like

no i never received any points. Just the 2 week ban. I was told at the time that i would be banned for the offence.

They overtook me and carried on going, i thought sweet they can't be after me, little did i know that about a 1/2 mile up the road they had stopped in the middle of both lanes light flashing and were walking up the road, the traffic had built up a bit and they just picked me out and said "get that car off the road now"....

[ QUOTE ]
no i never received any points. Just the 2 week ban. I was told at the time that i would be banned for the offence.

They overtook me and carried on going, i thought sweet they can't be after me, little did i know that about a 1/2 mile up the road they had stopped in the middle of both lanes light flashing and were walking up the road, the traffic had built up a bit and they just picked me out and said "get that car off the road now"....

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds like a really safe thing to do, doesnt it. Spot a speeding car, overtake it and boot it ahead and close three lanes of traffic to take a stroll up the motorway to stop the speeder.

Why didn't they just tell you to pull over and caution you there on the side of the road???

I take it you must live in Manchester with those bozo's for cops from car wars on BBC1, over dramatising every little offence.

Yes the garage door opener is absolutely the way forward, has already save me from a ban and my wife from a further 3 points.
I have an RA2 as well but that won't save you from mobile traps, so you need both.
Just to clear up the points vs ban:
If you are banned for more than 56 days you get a clean licence back with just the ban showing, under 56 days and the points remain.

I think it's because he was head of the Traffic division and it had taken them 2 miles apparenlty to catch up with me, the 40mph went into a national speed limit, they were waiting in the 40mph zone, at 76mph i was just preparing for the National Speed limit sign, i remember hitting 130mph. Essex Traffic police just love a boy racer, who's been down Saaaathend for the night.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif myself, nearly collapsed when i got out the car. I told him i was going to Mc Donald's.

Makes me wonder what will happen to me if i get captured doing over 150?

Put in a whicker man and burned perhaps? This country is getting pathetic with all these over zealist to$$ers!

lol - that whicker man film was fantastically weird !

and Donny Darko isn't LOL. I got charged when I crashed my old Golf years ago. Police man said not to worry if I hadnt heard anything within 6 month as they dont go through with them all (?). Yup almost to the day when I had forgotten all about it in came the summons. Went to court, not proven (God bless Scottish Law) and I got off with it.

There was a guy got caught on the A24 doing 136 in an M3 a couple of years back. He got 12 months. Me and my mate heard that and just looked at each other and went Sh!t, enough is enough. We'd had a few races along that road in our time.

I worked with a lad who bought a mk 4 golf and said he'd done 150 in it
why the firk would you wanna do time plus banned for driving like stirling moss endangering lives /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif
go to germany if you want to

[ QUOTE ]
Makes me wonder what will happen to me if i get captured doing over 150?

Put in a whicker man and burned perhaps? This country is getting pathetic with all these over zealist to$$ers!

[/ QUOTE ]

Too be honest chap, what right do you have to call other folk to$$ers, should you be the one doing a ton and half? Pay to use a track or buy a playstation .... OR see it as a fair cop should you get nabbed at that speed.

Getting annoyed about being nicked for 36 in a 30 or 85 in a 70 seems reasonable to me. But if you get nicked at 150... be a man and hold your hands up.

I got got caught on the motorway doing 82 MPH in a vauxhall corsa diesel. The copper who stopped me said he never even thought they went that fast and just cautioned me.

Under 85 and you'd be very unlucky to get done.
Never understood the craze for ludicrous speeding on the motorway, so many easier & safer ways to get banned in this country