S3 clock fascias + needles into an A3?

Markb

Reaction score
Right I've got hold of an S3 Speedo and a load of other bits cheap. So I'm up for having a go at transplanting the fascias and needles onto my A3 Speedo.

Has anyone done this before?

Mine currently has the non digital clock where as the new Speedo has a digital one. Could I just swap the rev counter over?

Cheers Mark.

[ QUOTE ]
Does that mean you will have the DIS bit spare Mark? If so, is this part transplantable(sp?)??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah got the DIS Spare. Came off a W Plate car.

Yes it can be done, You will need to pull the needles off and simply remove the plastic dials.
The needles do need a very firm pull to get them off and be very careful putting them back on making sure that they are back on zero.
Also make sure that the redline on the rev counter is the same as yours. Which i doubt it will be.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes it can be done, You will need to pull the needles off and simply remove the plastic dials.
The needles do need a very firm pull to get them off and be very careful putting them back on making sure that they are back on zero.
Also make sure that the redline on the rev counter is the same as yours. Which i doubt it will be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool.

Have you done this yourself?

Isn't the illumination different also?

Just taken it apart the Rev Counter and DIS are part of the circuit board so no swaps.

What about the illumination colour though?

They are surface mount leds like the type found in mobile phones. If you are good with a small soldering iron you can swap them otherwise the needles will illuminate red like the original items.

Dont even think about changing the SMT leds, the immobiliser is part of the circuits on the pcb and you will risk destroying they whole unit by trying to solder them.