Juddering when accelerating - Engine Mgt light on!

S3Si

Reaction score
Oh dear! Thought my car wasn't accelerating properly the other night and now it has been confirmed by the nasty yellow engine management light. It is OK when using the throttle very gently, but any more and it starts to judder and the light flashes for a few seconds. Any ideas please?! It almost feels like a fueling / air flow problem. Have it booked in on Thursday but thought I'd ask and see if you had some suggestions, cheers.

Thanks, GTQ, not being a mechanic thought it might be a sensor problem looking at previous threads, but fingers crossed its a coil pack, reckon that would be my cheapest problem...

Mine is an 01 plate, face lift, 60k, thought that the coil packs were a newer design or something and so they shouldn't be a problem, or can they just go with age?

Coil packs were dodgy on all VAG 1.8T engines around 2000-2002.

I believe there was a recall on them, there certainly was on my Golf GTI 1.8T which I bought new in 2002. Its coil packs went at about 10K - exactly the same symptoms you describe.

Coilpacks are dodgy full stop, I believe my car already had the newest type and the ones I've bought to replace them are identical! For anyone that can wait they are less than £20 each from vagparts.

FYI - I replaced the other three last week (I had one fail earlier in the year) and since I have my car runs even smoother (although I did the DV at the same time so not 100%)

Thanks for the feedback, will find out Thursday and post the results in case anyone else wants to know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

If you are in the AA they will diagnose and replace for the cost of the coilpack. I've had two go on mine and now carry a spare in the boot for when the inevitable happens.

Spot on GTQ!!

Had it hooked up to VAG-COM this morning, did the usual swapping to a different cylinder, and hey presto! Diagnosed and replaced the coilpack within the hour. Glad to have her back. Cheers people /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif