URGENT HELP please

S3_MCD

Reaction score
OK, car at 79k ... booked to have all belts done etc week friday.

Anyway travelling @ 80mph on MW, and no power, looked at dash engine management going crazy.

No power steering, brakes etc!?!?!

On hard shoulder under bonnet and the alternator belt has definately gone.

Have I F'd it?

Gotta a flat bed and currently sitting at dealer waiting for a ramp to become free ....

Cheers guys

If its just the aux drive belt, then no worries! Just replace it and away you go. If its the cambelt, then its a whole other matter! Hope for your wallets sake its just the aux drive belt.

Rich

Update:

Car wont turn over, cam belt is intact .... however dealer feels that there is something else afoot, maybe jumped a few teeth, or water pump!!!!

Anyway long story short, will have diagnosis in next 48hrs, if its belts etc they feel that I will have redress to Audi UK (with their support).

Best case as it stands they reckon 1,500 ..... worst case new engine 6k !

OMG Hope it all works out Marcus! Keep us posted.

I've got everything crossed for you!

[ QUOTE ]
OMG Hope it all works out Marcus! Keep us posted.

I've got everything crossed for you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers Rich ...
its just sort of starting to settle in my head - feeling sick and totally F'd off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

...never a good time, but really couldnt have happen at a worst one for me!

Will post updates as and when.

Good luck getting it sorted and I hope it's not too bad! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Been there done that, got the t-shirt if you need any advice on where I went wrong let me know.

Good luck mate, mines just over 50k atm, I'm thinking of doing it early due to the amount of thrashing I give it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

1st update:
Call from Audi this morning ... rocker off and valves etc fu*ked, can also see that cam belt is loose - oh dear!

Next step remove head and hope that nothing down the bottom reflects the top.

Roll on next update.

Gutted.

[ QUOTE ]
1st update:
Call from Audi this morning ... rocker off and valves etc fu*ked, can also see that cam belt is loose - oh dear!

Roll on next update.

Gutted.

[/ QUOTE ] ooh not good, Joe id recommend get it done, hows the clutch, did i slove it for u?

[ QUOTE ]
1st update:

Roll on next update.

Gutted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nightmare mate. Keep us posted.

Really sorry to hear it S3MCD, I had the same experience with mine. At 93K the cambelt went and destroyed mine; in the end I had to get a whole new engine fitted. On the brightside, the clutch, flywheel & manifold was replaced so the car is pretty much new! Nasty experience when you have no power, I went down through the gears but nothing, and coasted over to the hardshoulder in the end, just glad that there wasn't too much traffic!

Theres a complete low milage engine on eBay - might be a good option.

Oh dear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

Head now off and although I dont yet know the cause I have heard the words "significant bottom end damage"

i.e. new engine!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

will update tomorrow with root cause, but basically SHOULDNT have happened and I WILL be having a word with Audi UK.

Its 3.5yrs old, 79k, full Audi SH, very well looked after.
Expecting dealer support every step of the way.

Good luck and I hope you get support from the dealer and Audi, I was worried they wouldn't say anything and wern't really interested when mine went bang at 63,000 miles however I didn't leave it at Audi to find out whether they would be more help and that's the one thing I wish I'd done differently. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Going to dealer tomorrow to pick up a loaner (anything better than a fiesta 1.2 Zetec) and have a look at my engine in bits.

Dealer has advised that cambelt failure has caused significant head and bottom end damage, which is not serviceable - quoted just shy of £5,000 for a replacement.

With support of dealer have spoken to Audi UK, who are investigating to decide their contribution - they have told me they they should know by end of week.

So far I am pleased with progress and as long as the outcome is in the same vane I will be smiling.

Taking a camera tomorrow, can somebody host the pics to this thread?

Put it this way anything south of about £7000 will be a bonus and make sure they check the f/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gifing turbo *carefully* BEFORE they put anything back together unless it's a whole new crate engine inc turbo etc.